Why become a member? ×

***Sold*** 1974 Fender Precision
£1250

Tradfusion

I know I'll regret this but needs must... 74 sunburst alder bodied Precision with lots of player wear so this is not a collector bass, it is however the best sounding and playing Precision that I have played during my 30 years as a musician. I bought this bass from Brian Barrett in Thelowend bass shop in the US about 10-12 years ago, the shop is still there online and I'm sure many of the old sweats will know of it... the bass was obviously well used over the years and is (genuinely) road worn but when he vouched for its awesome tone and feel he wasn't wrong!

The first big plus is that this bass weighs in at a touch under 8lbs on a fairly accurate scales so as 70s Precisions go its a featherweight. The light alder body is really quite special. The neck is arrow straight with working truss rod and it has a beautiful dark rosewood board and decent frets with lot of life left in them. The bass arrived to me with an amazing set up, nice low action and the intonation is absolutely spot on so I have never needed to adjust it since... it came strung with a set of Black Diamond strings which are quite worn but sound great with tons of warmth but still have plenty of sparkle left in them so once again I left well enough alone...

The pickup is a passive basslines set which were in the bass when I bought it, I'm not sure when they were installed but the tone is phat, warm and punchy... pure vintage P Bass... the guard is a replacement and has a deep gouge over the pickup made by a previous owner who obviously played with a pick... the bridge is a replacement but has been on the bass for many years... the pots and wiring etc are original as far as I know and there is an extra bit of routing in the control cavity and a battery compartment on the back of the body from what must have been an experiment with an active pickup at some stage many moons ago...

I think I have covered everything... the main thing is this is a fantastic piece of vintage Fender that sounds and plays like a dream and would suit a gigging/recording musician who is willing to sacrifice some originality for awesome tone and total comfort. The reason for selling is to purchase a rather expensive upright so I'm not really interested in trades. I live in Ireland but am willing to look into shipping to the UK or Europe for the right buyer. I'm asking £1250 for this lovely instrument. I am happy to answer any questions if I can :)

Edited by Tradfusion

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1489105096' post='3254489']
I wonder how many hours of playing is required to go through a pickguard like that!

Good luck with the sale.
[/quote]

Thanks... yeah whoever he was he really liked to dig in... it wasn't me anyway, never used a pick in my life :)