Why become a member? ×

Sorted - Look Away Now (unless You Want to Take the ...)

Mykesbass

Just putting La Bella 760FL on to my 34" scale Shuker 5 string and it looks as if they are not compatible. The low B has about 4cm from the ball end of a narrower gauge, but this takes it across the saddle. Then at the headstock end I only have about 1cm of silk to wind on then it is straight on to the full thickness of the string.

[s]Have I bought the wrong length[/s], is the string faulty, or does it work with the narrower gauge over the saddle? Rest of the pack are all as I'd have expected, full gauge over the saddle.

Mods, I know this should be elsewhere, but I needed it in a busy bit of the forum. Hope that's OK.

Edited by Mykesbass

You may have problems getting the low B to stay in tune until the thicker section of the string beds into the capstan fully. This is provided you can get three full windings on at all of course. If you try it, be prepared to retune after every number. I don't think the narrower section over the bridge will stop the string from working. In fact, it may sound brighter because it is effectively a superwound.

Good luck!

Edited by SpondonBassed

You might get lucky and have it settle down quickly. I put flats on my fretless a little while back and the full section at the silk end of the E was just on the capstan close to the point of being in tune. It wasn't too bad but then I tried to keep as much slack out of the string in the early stage of winding on as I could. It behaves pretty much as normal now.

How many times do you think the full section would have to go around? If you don't think you can get three full turns I wouldn't bother.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1484855318' post='3219198']
You might get lucky and have it settle down quickly. I put flats on my fretless a little while back and the full section at the silk end of the E was just on the capstan close to the point of being in tune. It wasn't too bad but then I tried to keep as much slack out of the string in the early stage of winding on as I could. It behaves pretty much as normal now.

How many times do you think the full section would have to go around? If you don't think you can get three full turns I wouldn't bother.
[/quote]

Actually, once up to tension there was more space than anticipated - really looked as if the full thickness would have been on the capstan, but it isn't. Good three turns! Also, the narrow gauge over the saddle is OK, but the B does seem a bit weak. Will see tomorrow when played at rehearsal volume.

Thanks for the opinion/advice. Seems a bit daft now, but looked totally wrong out of the packet :blush: