Why become a member? ×

Variations in headstock shape

Rikki_Sixx

I know that Fender headstocks have varied over the years (pre-CBS, etc.), and I was hoping to find some nice hi-res images of the differences! I found a great graphic illustrating the differences in Strats, but wasn't sure if that also applied to the bass ranges!

It might be a bit of a strange request, but bear with me for a bit of background! :D

I work at a small design studio and every few months we set ourselves a little design challenge between client projects, hopefully to raise a bit of money for charity. It can be anything from photography, something digital / online, an animation, prints.. Just a creative exercise and a bit of fun. Usually most of us end up doing prints which we [url="https://bml-creative.co.uk/shop/"]sell in our online shop[/url], and all the proceeds (after printing and shipping) go to [url="https://bml-creative.co.uk/blog/bml-donation-to-leeds-homeless-charity/"]local charities[/url] (this year it's Leeds Mind).

This month's theme is '[i]Icon[/i]', and I'm toying with the idea of doing something around the iconic Fender shapes. There are so many knowledgable people here that I thought I'd try my luck, as Google is a bit hit-and-miss - maybe I'm looking up the wrong terms! Any information would be really appreciated!

Basically there are two designs - the 1951 design, which is most associated with Telecaster, but was used on the original Precision bass and then the 1957 and later design, which uses the headstock that we know and love today. There has been lots of decal changes but basically the '57 headstock shape has survived 60 years!

Regards
Davo