Why become a member? ×

Tony Franklin Fretted Precision

flutophilus

Hi,

Has anyone out there owned or tried or even seen a Tony Franklin fretted precision? Anyone know a shop in the midlands that has one?

I've just about decided on getting a new American Standard but I'm wondering if I should try to get hands on a TF.

I know that a single pup precision is good enough for some great players and it's the sound I want, plus it's a really comfortable bass to hold and play, it's simple, strong, passive, no batteries. But will I start geting twitchy if I haven't got another tone option on the bass? When might I need that extra pup?

Is there any reason, other than the extra pup, to get the TF?

Cheers

Edited by flutophilus

[quote name='flutophilus' post='308502' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:23 PM']Hi,

Has anyone out there owned or tried or even see a Tony Franklin fretted precision? Anyone know a shop in the midlands that has one?

I've just about decided on getting a new American Standard but I'm wondering if I should try to get hands on a TF.

I know that a single pup precision is good enough for some great players and it's the sound I want, plus it's a really comfortable bass to hold and play, it's simple, strong, passive, no batteries. But will I start geting twitchy if I haven't got another tone option on the bass? When might I need that extra pup?

Cheers[/quote]
Here's one: [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Fender-Tony-Franklin-Fretted-Precision-Bass---Olympic-White~ID~7616.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~F...ite~ID~7616.asp[/url]

[quote name='flutophilus' post='308502' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:23 PM']Hi,

Has anyone out there owned or tried or even seen a Tony Franklin fretted precision? Anyone know a shop in the midlands that has one?

Cheers[/quote]

I thought about getting one for a while because I like the option of having the J pup. It's a lot of money to spend just to get a hot rodded P though. I don't know what other bells and whistles Mr Franklin would have specified, so I'll probably get my standard P hot rodded by a decent luthier

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='308532' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:49 PM']I thought about getting one for a while because I like the option of having the J pup. It's a lot of money to spend just to get a hot rodded P though. I don't know what other bells and whistles Mr Franklin would have specified, so I'll probably get my standard P hot rodded by a decent luthier[/quote]

I guess that's an option. Looking at the specs for the TF it looks to have the same neck radius (9.5in) and nut width (1.625) as the American Standard so I assume the neck would feel very similar. It has a different (vintage) bridge and tuners but how much difference that makes is hard to say.

I guess that modifiying the standard would also give the option of having a pup blend rather than a switch.

Anyone done anything like that?

Cheers