Why become a member? ×

Advice for Direct input

Tomash

Dear all,

Have been lurking for quite a while, though this is my first post: I am getting a bit desperate to sort out my stage sound, particularly with the smaller gigs for which the band uses our own PA. After my combo with DI output was stolen I have been going straight into the PA using a DI box and have trouble hearing myself from front of stage, let alone getting a satisfactory sound from my double bass with fishman pick up. I have always had feedback problems with monitors so the combo was the best way for us all to hear the bass.

Having disovered Basschat Forum my eyes have been opened to the world of higher end amps and speakers - indeed I had no idea how much equipment had evolved over the years, and I am waiting to make a decision on what equipment to buy to replace my old combo.

So, my question is: Is there some sort of inexpensive pre-amp I can buy to improve the general sound of the upright while I am deciding/saving for a replacement amp? I guess I could put up with stage sound level problem if I am confident that the bass sounds better through the PA. We do have a little wedgie monitor that I could use.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Hey Tom, welcome to the forum!

I swear by my Fishman Pro-Eq Platinum Bass Preamp:

volume+gain / compression+depth dials (4);
phase switch;
5 band slider graphic eq;
pre/post and lift/ground switches for the xlr => pre/post means you can send clean signal (pre) to the pa, or use your own settings (post). You can send a clean signal to pa and your chosen sound to your amp via the jack output. (never quite figured out what the lift/gnd one does!);
works on battery/mains/phantom power.

I hardly ever use my polytone mini-brute combo anymore. This gizmo (the preamp) is about £150, I think, and it has
a baby brother without as many features, but smaller, lighter, cheaper - would strap to the tailpiece.

Happy hunting, Teej

edit: forgot to mention the 3 outputs: 1x xlr, and 2x jack = 1 for your amp + 1 for a tuner. That's how you can send a signal to the pa and another to your amp.

Edited by teej

I always used a Lr Baggs para acoustic DI. It's similar to the fishman di mentioned above but with a notch filter too for cutting out that problem resonant frequency. That in combination with the phase switch means you can still put bass in the monitors with much reduced feedback. I used mine straight to the desk on lots of big loud gigs and got a good sound quite easily. Mine's for sale as don't need it with my schertler pickup.

[url="http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_paradi.shtml"]http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_paradi.shtml[/url]