Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fret size and fingerboard radius for low action

tedmanzie

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1479306475' post='3175488']
Depends on the player.
I myself have a heavy hand but at the same time I'm incredible sensitive to setup. My fretting hand really aches and fatigues fast if a bass is not setup to my liking and even a tiny change in action for some songs or passages could be the difference between fatigue or not. Oddly string choice effects it less lighter gauge easier to press down but heavy gauge I can lower the action more without fret buzz so it equals out.
And I genuinely can feel tiny differences not quite on the 0.1mm scale but I guess some might. After all 0.1mm can be the difference of fret buzz or not also.

However for the op I do feel flat 10" and above boards are that slight bit easier to play and you can get that tiny bit of a better setup. Also finding strings that feel right.
I guess its an accumulative effect of feeling comfortable.

Some players have the extra ability too play anything and any setup. I envy them but I still believe in optimising these tiny differences for everyone. Even if they don't feel it lol.
[/quote]
Well, you live and learn. I've never really had a problem with changing radius, but then I don't play as fast and intensive as many others. If I did, maybe I too would suffer? Thanks

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1479405887' post='3176344']

Where do you measure action from? 12th fret to bottom of string?
I've currently got 1.9mm on the E and 1.5mm on the G at the 12th fret, very tiny bit of relief in the neck.
I could get it a touch lower with heavier gauge like you say but the extra tension doesn't work for my left hand.
[/quote]

Well that's a excellent action already if no fret buzz and you can play that low.
If you can get that setup on a vintage radius board then I doubt you will have trouble on any other thinner jazz neck you wish to try no matter the radius or fret size.
But you may feel more comfortable playing a flatter board and different size frets.
You will have to experiment.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479406254' post='3176350']

Well, you live and learn. I've never really had a problem with changing radius, but then I don't play as fast and intensive as many others. If I did, maybe I too would suffer? Thanks
[/quote]

Well it's a very personal thing I suppose. I'm really not too good a player and I'm not fast etc but I still have that sensitivity to bass setup including radius. I've met others the same. I've met others that are not so fussy and all they need in a bass is that its relatively well setup and in tune lol. And as mentioned there's people who can play any bass no matter the setup. Some folk need higher actions and can not play with a low action.
There's the famous story of Will Lee complaining of fret buzz on his sadowsky even though the action was 4mm and Roger is known for his excellent setup and attention to frets.