Why become a member? ×

Now THIS is how you start a band

Happy Jack

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479213214' post='3174749']
Being in a band is fun. Starting a band is not, it's hard work which most are I'll equipped to do.

Blue
[/quote]

Sorry Blue, starting a new project is a blast and not really that hard at all. Unless you have a ready pool of musicians, you advertise, make a few calls, set a date, book a room and play.

The hardest part is trying to get shot of someone who doesn't work out.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1479134851' post='3174188']
How about this ad, then:

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/asap-base-player-t924396.html"]http://www.joinmyban...er-t924396.html[/url]
[/quote]

I love any musician who looks for a base player.

As a demo of his knowledge, commitment and [s]literassy[/s] [s]litarras[/s] [s]lisitta[/s] spelling, it tells you everything you need to know.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1479216670' post='3174793']
Sorry Blue, starting a new project is a blast and not really that hard at all. Unless you have a ready pool of musicians, you advertise, make a few calls, set a date, book a room and play.

[/quote]
i'm not often on the same page as blue, but i think he means the getting musical cohesion, working relationships, paying gigs etc.
its easy enough to get 4 guys in a room, but if those 4 guys can't form a relationship beyond that that phase it will go nowhere (unless of course you are happy to jam in a room occasionally, which is totally cool).

i've been in start up bands that have gone on and gigged, recorded a etc which were great fun and what i would consider not a failure. there have on the other hand been times when i've been in start up projects which haven't even made it into that 4 guys in a room situation.

I posted an ad a few months ago. The gist of it was this - I can play bass or rhythm guitar. I'll be sh*t at both, but let's have some fun with it. There are no prerequisites for your own ability, influence, or location (within reason).

I got several responses - Very good responses. I'm now in a 5-piece band, and we're doing some covers while we all get to know each other.

When the pool of talent in your local area is narrow, beggars can't be choosers. If you want to get out and make some noise, cast the net as wide and as far as possible. It might just be the thing that distinguishes you from all other acts.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1479216670' post='3174793']

[/quote]

Hard is a relative term. A blast for a sharp connected cat yeah it might be a blast.

Starting a band for the average every day people cat is usually a big pain in the arse.

Blue