Why become a member? ×

Lifespan of an amp.

arthurhenry

I've got a Superbass 100 that I believe dates to 68/69. Still going strong after a bit of a rebuild about 10 or 12 years ago because it hadn't been used for a while and (I believe) the capacitors had dried out - well that's what the repair guy said.

Just seen what they go for :o sadly mine is hardly pristine because when I bought it for SFA 40 years ago it got used & hurled around the van unflightcased, but it still sounds HUGE! It might go a way towards funding a Wal 5 I've seen nearby though

[quote name='kev b' timestamp='1476138816' post='3151765']
My amps are a HH from 1974, I bought the HH in 1976
[/quote]

Yup - well built - quite a large number of them have innards put together by MY little electronic company. We did sub contract design and manufacturing of cable forms, stuffed pcbs & built small electro-mechanical sub assemblies for both HH and PACE:MM in the seventies. Back when men were men and amps had electroluminescent front panels!

:lol:

Was amazed to find one of "our" MM AP360 P.A. power amps still going strong in a holiday camp ballroom a couple of years back - has to be at least 40 years old! Even the dust looked original.