Why become a member? ×

Baritone help shout out!

Pinball

HI, I could really do with some ideas of how to make the best use of my baritone Cort guitar (see video below). It was an impulse buy last year. I absolute love the growl that it makes and everything about it but.......it sits there unused, mainly because I find it difficult to transpose songs that I already play in E down to [color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3]B-E-A-D-Gb-B[/size][/font][/color]

here's the spec: http://www.cortguitars.com/uk/product/sunset-baritone

[font="Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][size=3]I'm now thinking of abandoning the usual tuning and being more radical, maybe even tuning it like my bass and then writing songs that fit the sound and tuning. Any suggestions on turnings?[/size][/color][/font]

It is the first on here:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddNgW09Xrsc

Any advice would be much appreciated as I know I can do good things with this if I can get my head around it.

If you bought one single string of the appropriate guage ( thinner than the high B ) then you could just remove the lower B , move the other five over and add the new highest as a high E , then tune like a regular guitar .
Maybe . Maybe not .

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1475841414' post='3149122']
If you bought one single string of the appropriate guage ( thinner than the high B ) then you could just remove the lower B , move the other five over and add the new highest as a high E , then tune like a regular guitar .
Maybe . Maybe not .
[/quote]
A thinkers answer I like it!

My 1st thought it, it's not the guitar that is the problem it is my lack of ability....that doesn't really help though.

My 2nd thought is that following on from what you say I could re-tune from the E as a normal 6 string and forget about the high E...not sure what that tuning is called but it will have a name no doubt. I could mute the B when chording?

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1475852237' post='3149259']
Do you play chords on it, or predominantly single notes?
If the latter, then tune the Gb -> G and you will find some familiar territory in strings 2-5.
[/quote]
I'm sure there is some room for this as there is a lot of room to play 2-4 string chords instead of using all 6. taking it closer to either typical bass tuning or 6 string tuning will help. I'll try both of these over the weekend I reckon.
I think it's worth the effort before admitting defeat

OK To amplify that, once you tune to A it is exactly like playing a guitar, but the open E chord is an A. You already know your way across the strings on a guitar so the rest is easy. E becomes A, A becomes D, D becomes G, etc. And all those OTHER chords just seem to fall under your hand.
Once I figured all this out at home, I did a full gig with just the baritone and found it dead easy apart from the streeeetch!
You are going to have a lot of fun with this. Best bet is to start with cowboy chords and go from there.