Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Cabs - Opinions/advice please!

chrisd783

Hi Guys

I've just taken an Ampeg rig in a trade. It's a PF500 head with SVT-210HE cab. It sounds great but I've been looking at the PF series of cabs and was wondering if they'd sound better with the head from the same range?

I'm happy enough with the sound I'm getting as it is, and I normally buy in to the 'only fix it if it's broke' mentality. But the common sense side of me says that a PF head would go better with a PF cab(s).

Since I'm a newbie with Ampeg gear I thought I'd find out if anyone has any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks in advance guys!

Chris

Depends on personal taste really.
I cant see the 2x10 PF cab sounding majorly different to your current cab, since they are basically the same bar the aesthetics (and functionality -storage), but I have never had the chance to A/B those options.
The other cabs in the range are a 15 fliptop cab, a non-flip 12, 15 and 4x10. All of these will sound quite different to your current setup and each will have its charms.
The Fliptop cabs are great because of the storage and transport practicalities and have an old-school tone, whereas the non flip cabs will have better low frequency response/tone shaping because of the porting etc.

Personally, I love the idea of having one of the PF series heads (probably the 50T most of all) and the fliptop 15 or 2x10 - simply for rehearsals and small gigs with my bluegrass and rockabilly bands.
I currently use a pair of Ampeg B100-R combos for those purposes and they are pretty epic sounding 15's. I love them to bits but they weigh a wee bit, so the PF series seem like a good option. But wont be changing anytime soon.

My point being, I prefer the 15's for certain applications, but I also love the response of 10's, so for bigger gigs I bring out the old SVT and 8x10

Horses for courses...

Edited by basshead56