Why become a member? ×

Tune Bass Maniac. Worth a 32 year Wait ?

kodiakblair

You bet it was :)

First saw this in Guitarist mag back in 84 but costing a year's wage and only the Bass Centre,400 mile away, having them it was never going to happen.

3 octave fingerboard,extended neck,piezo only. I'd never saw they're like and was smitten :D For years I'd kept an eye out for one and when the internet came along signed up to any Tune groups on the off chance I'd find one.Trouble was next to nobody had one :o A couple of folk in Europe,one in Japan and a fella in Australia but his developed a dodgy neck. Danny at Bass Japan Direct told me they were scarce even over there,he also told me the last one he'd saw sold for £850 :o A damn sight more than I'd expected to pay :D

Well some things are just meant to be.When a friend got told he'd cancer I decided to start ticking off the GAS list and the morning after the double bass was struck off I heard about this, up for grabs in Japan.It was an expensive weekend :lol: 12 days it was in customs but yesterday morning the wait was over.

It's apt that a few hours later I was at my friend's funeral :(

The bass itself looks fantastic,is in great nick and plays wonderful. Granted I'm crap at fretless,haven't had much time with it and definitely in the honeymoon period but bloody hell I'm over the moon. The Mwah on it is amazing,last night another pal asked me what effects I was using.Took great pleasure in telling him none.

Here is the object of my desire :rolleyes:
[attachment=228783:Maniac (2).jpg] [attachment=228784:Maniac (6).jpg] [attachment=228785:Maniac (4).jpg]

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1475052477' post='3142559']
looks like a marvellous instrument, I suppose the 3rd octave is actually even more useful as a "playing surface" / ramp. Sorry to hear about your friend :(
[/quote]Thanks roman.

You're correct about the fingerboard being more of a ramp too :) Apart from difficulty in reaching the 36th the string tension up there is crazy high.
After I saw the Maniac other firms came out with very similar basses like the Bass Collection and Washburn ABT series but none of their piezo fretless models
used the extended board.Nor did other fretless Maniacs so I'm guessing it was done to be different.

Glad they did it cause it really adds to the look :)