Why become a member? ×

Lighter then Light.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

As many of you know, I am a huge pansy when it comes to string gauges, and go for the lightest possible My gauge of choice for the past few years has been.

110-90-70-50-30. Stainless Steel, Either overwater or rotos.

Well i found some string sets in reverb yesterday which may be taking top spot!

RS 66LA

So. 30-45-65-85

Awesome! My poor hands have less to worry about. I slapped some on my new to me stingray yesterday and the bass sings! The A string might be a tad too skinny for slapping, but i will work it a bit and i am sure it wont be that bad. Very bright sound. Will cut through quite a bit i imagine. Its a bit better string balance then a 30-90 set especially on a stingray with the quiet G syndrome.

Just thought i would share!

Rob.

[quote name='odub' post='301378' date='Oct 7 2008, 02:31 PM']Just out of interest, why light guages? I've only used medium snd heavy (yep, in my entire bass playing career, two sets of strings).

What does it give you? I'd have thought it'd be easier to bend the strings by accident.[/quote]

I find it gives a much growlier tone, I can get over the fretboard far faster. Its easier on the fingers, and slap seems far far easier. I find it useful for more technical styles, and for someone who does not downtune.

As a term of reference, Geddy Lee Uses Roto's 30-90 on his Jazz, And he can really pull those strings!

They are pretty terrible for dub though!

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='301386' date='Oct 7 2008, 02:39 PM']I find it gives a much growlier tone, I can get over the fretboard far faster. Its easier on the fingers, and slap seems far far easier. I find it useful for more technical styles, and for someone who does not downtune.

As a term of reference, Geddy Lee Uses Roto's 30-90 on his Jazz, And he can really pull those strings!

They are pretty terrible for dub though![/quote]

Ha alright thanks for the insight

[quote name='Shockwave' post='301386' date='Oct 7 2008, 02:39 PM']As a term of reference, Geddy Lee Uses Roto's 30-90 on his Jazz, And he can really pull those strings![/quote]

he did in the 80's, on his Wal's, but now he uses 45-105.

[quote name='SJA' post='301407' date='Oct 7 2008, 02:55 PM']he did in the 80's, on his Wal's, but now he uses 45-105.[/quote]

Ok, my bad. It sounds like he uses Light gauge strings on the jazz. I am guessing they are changed after every gig to get such a snappy tone.

I put a set of those skinny wee Rotosounds on a friends' Jaydee MK model for a funk session and they sounded the dog's danglies. It's amazing how much difference there was between those and the 45-105 set that where previously on there.
I'd definitley go light guage for fingerstyle funk in the future.