Why become a member? ×

Paul Raven/Peter Hook-style ambitions

highwayman

Quite right, but I'd already made the comment before I realised how old his post was. When I did I messaged him out of curiosity asking how it all worked out for him 7 years down the line. Judging by some of his more recent posts I'd say pretty well. It would be interesting to find out.
   Thing is I kind of found the thread by accident rather than finding it here. I'd googled something about Raven and it came up and caught my eye. Still wouldn't have hurt to check the date first.

He was on the right track 7 years ago. Who knows where he night be now? 

Bass-less! I sold my Stingray Classic and bought a '70s Strat reissue hardtail (swapping the triple single coils for one Dimarzio Super Distortion).

I was looking at basses in Guitar Guitar last week though after being inspired by Anthony Esposito's delectable playing on Lynch Mob's River of Love...

• Like 1

remember seeing raven with killing joke at hammersmith palais just as nighttime was released ...he was playing a headless status and the tone was pretty much spot on with the album. His style had a lot of influence on me although i could never quite get the overall sound and aggression that raven was dishing out. It was only after i bought a status not too long ago that the final piece of the jig saw was put in place, he was getting all those detailed percussive punches and growls etc from pushing down hard on a status graphite in standard drop d tuning ... a bit of a eureka moment for me. I can finally do a great kings and queens. Hooky was way way easier. 

On 12/03/2023 at 06:13, Musicman666 said:

remember seeing raven with killing joke at hammersmith palais just as nighttime was released ...he was playing a headless status and the tone was pretty much spot on with the album. His style had a lot of influence on me although i could never quite get the overall sound and aggression that raven was dishing out. It was only after i bought a status not too long ago that the final piece of the jig saw was put in place, he was getting all those detailed percussive punches and growls etc from pushing down hard on a status graphite in standard drop d tuning ... a bit of a eureka moment for me. I can finally do a great kings and queens. Hooky was way way easier. 

I was there too. I think the tour was kind of for both Night-time and BTTS. I had a pair of Status series in the late 80s (1 fretless) myself and loved them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean about the Status thing. They are punchy. Until the mid 90s I actually had a pair of series IIs (one fretless) and wish I still had them. If you think about it though Raven's sound always was pretty consistent whatever bass he was playing and there could be any number of reasons for that from string gauges to amps. I'm not sure if you noticed on that clip of Chessboards, but he had a graphite neck on the Stingray he was playing, so I guess there must be something about it. I'd definitely go for graphite for fretless, as you can see. 

I don't know about you, but I've always gone for a sound with a bit less bottom end and more middle so that it cuts without being too loud and boomy. What Geddy Lee calls the twang.

8 hours ago, Marc Day said:

I know what you mean about the Status thing. They are punchy. Until the mid 90s I actually had a pair of series IIs (one fretless) and wish I still had them. If you think about it though Raven's sound always was pretty consistent whatever bass he was playing and there could be any number of reasons for that from string gauges to amps. I'm not sure if you noticed on that clip of Chessboards, but he had a graphite neck on the Stingray he was playing, so I guess there must be something about it. I'd definitely go for graphite for fretless, as you can see. 

I don't know about you, but I've always gone for a sound with a bit less bottom end and more middle so that it cuts without being too loud and boomy. What Geddy Lee calls the twang.

i think scooping out the boomy lows but retaining that sub grunt ...i have a multi band parametric that's great for dialling that in. 

Edited by Musicman666