Why become a member? ×

aerodyne jazz, export?

Crikey!

ive been looking around the web and ive found the standard aerodyne jazz, black, no pickguard.

ive also found a japanese aerodyne jazz that comes in a range of colours and has a pickguard.

i can't seem to find many details on the japanese export model, so if anybody knows about this type of stuff could you please explain to me any differences? apart from the obvious colours and pickguard differences, wouldn't want you wasting your time :)

Ben

The Japanese "export" has no p/g, a strat style jack socket, smoke grey hardware and no dot markers.

The "non-export" has a p/g, standard jack on jack plate, std chrome hardware and dot markers.

Both are beautifully made and play very nicely....... I went for the non export as I generally preferred its appearance.

Hope that helps a bit.

My Aero is shown below, with custom p/g.

I had a black non-export model for a while, sold on a couple of months ago. Aside from the scratchplate and bell-plate I see no difference to the export model.

Incidentally, it was a peach for customising...changed the bridge to a BadAssII, the machines to Schaller and stuck in a John East pre-amp (also in black). On the downside, I had to rout out the back of the body to accommodate a battery box as the cavity wasn't big enough to take the John East and the battery. It sounded fantastic...maybe a little too big.

The only thing I really didn't like about the model was that because it's of a more slab bodied design, there's a distinct lack of a proper chamfer under my right forearm. The body does fall way a little, but the edge can become a little hard on your forearm after extended session.

If you're thinking of buying one, check eBay seller thomasldh - I got mine from him and he seems to deal solely in Aerodynes. He does 'em all, in all colours. Taking into account the weak $, he's pretty cheap now.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

They're alright, I do find on mine that the j pickup is rather quiet when compared to the p pickup, and it gets lost when you're running both.

Apart from that, well built, nice neck, do like.

Perhaps not worth the money over a more normal jazz though. But that's my opinion on mine, which is a dire need of a setup and fret stoning.

so apart from the looks and features, theres no particular difference in tone/build quality etc?

i'll have a look on ebay, i like the look of the...whatever one had no pick guard or fret markers, i dont remember if that was the export or non export...

thanks for the advice, i'll have a play around and see what i think, should get up to london at some point, i might come back to ask some more questions though :)

thanks

Ben

[quote name='Crikey!' post='2510' date='May 19 2007, 10:25 PM']so apart from the looks and features, theres no particular difference in tone/build quality etc?

i'll have a look on ebay, i like the look of the...whatever one had no pick guard or fret markers, i dont remember if that was the export or non export...

thanks for the advice, i'll have a play around and see what i think, should get up to london at some point, i might come back to ask some more questions though :)

thanks

Ben[/quote]

Thats the export version.

And, yes btw, as the body is curved, the bridge sits in a little pocket, which means the fender bridge is a great flush fit, but to change it, bigger bridges like the badass sit on the body only making about 25% contact, rather than 100% like on a normal flat top jazz.

Still makes it sound better if you put a packing plate under it and make sure it's tight, so you can transfer as much vibrations as possible.