Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Order....(of pedals)

Kubickiboy

After much messing around and waiting around for effects pedals to be delivered, I think I might have settled on this order.

Could do with some feedback to see what you think.

AMP << Sansamp BDDI << TU2 << Bassballs << CEB3 << TC Vintage Bass Distortion << EMMA DiscumBoBulator << Digitech Whammy << Bass

I have an Alesis 3630 going through my effects loop. I like it and it's very controllable yet would it be better to get a compressor pedal to stick at the front of the chain?

Opinions appreciated.

J

compressor at the end of the chain should be fine....it should then help to level out any volume swells from envelope filters and anything else. at the beginning of the chain would work too, that's where i have mine, however your setup is different and if it were me i'd probably put the compressor where you already have it.

the only thing i'd change, i think, is to put the tuner pedal first so it can get an accurate signal to tune with. however, if you're using the tuner as a mute for any effects noise (at the end of gigs/songs/etc) then obv it is best where it is.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='295998' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:49 PM']just dont put the compressor [b]before[/b] the filter as you'll totally limit its effect in a bad way[/quote]
Do you think I should get rid of the Alesis which goes through the FX loop in my GK and put a Comp pedal after the EMMA?

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='294952' date='Sep 29 2008, 10:29 PM']After much messing around and waiting around for effects pedals to be delivered, I think I might have settled on this order.

Could do with some feedback to see what you think.

AMP << Sansamp BDDI << TU2 << Bassballs << CEB3 << TC Vintage Bass Distortion << EMMA DiscumBoBulator << Digitech Whammy << Bass

I have an Alesis 3630 going through my effects loop. I like it and it's very controllable yet would it be better to get a compressor pedal to stick at the front of the chain?

Opinions appreciated.

J[/quote]
i'd put the TU2 on the second output of the chorus as the bypass is terrible on it and maybe have the bassballs after the emma filter and the disortion after the whammy as i like to run my distortion into my filters although i normally have my distortion set up so you still get a bit of dynamics

[quote name='Kubickiboy' post='296076' date='Oct 1 2008, 12:08 AM']Do you think I should get rid of the Alesis which goes through the FX loop in my GK and put a Comp pedal after the EMMA?[/quote]

no, not unless you want to.

and putting a compressor before a filter is not always detrimental....some filters actually become easier to control with compressors in front of them. of course, it depends on the filter and whether you are using both the compressor and filter properly, and what you want out of them.

the short answer, i think, is that you can get a compressor pedal and put it after the EMMA if you want, but again if i were you, with that chain, i would leave the compressor at the end where you already have it. :)

also, i hadn't noticed earlier, but you may get better result switching around the EMMA and the TCE pedal, so it goes distortion>>filter....generally, it will sound more pleasing this way, as the distortion will accentuate the filter, instead of the filter being lost in the distortion. however, that again is up to you and the only way to know is to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='escholl' post='296098' date='Oct 1 2008, 01:26 AM']no, not unless you want to.

and putting a compressor before a filter is not always detrimental....some filters actually become easier to control with compressors in front of them. of course, it depends on the filter and whether you are using both the compressor and filter properly, and what you want out of them.

the short answer, i think, is that you can get a compressor pedal and put it after the EMMA if you want, but again if i were you, with that chain, i would leave the compressor at the end where you already have it. :)

also, i hadn't noticed earlier, but you may get better result switching around the EMMA and the TCE pedal, so it goes distortion>>filter....generally, it will sound more pleasing this way, as the distortion will accentuate the filter, instead of the filter being lost in the distortion. however, that again is up to you and the only way to know is to give it a try.[/quote]
Thanks for your input. Great suggestions guys. Had a velcro-pulling session and played around a bit with my board.

I have the EMMA set up so I use it as a stand-alone filter and don't colour the sound with any distortion. The TC drives the BB to get a nice synth sound.

Having had the TU2 at the front for ages, I'm finding it easier to mute the whole lot now it's at the end. The Sansamp is very quiet so I have no problems with noise into the amp.

And having a tweak of the Alesis, it's sounding a lot better. I borrowed an EBS Comp from a mate and put it where I thought it may work best (i.e. after the filter) and there was no audible difference. In fact to my ears it didn't sound as good in that position.

So I'll stick with the 3630 where it is. Nice bit of kit for £60. Don't know why it gets a bad rap?

Cheers again, J