Why become a member? ×

Playing Through Subwoofer

thegummy

I hope this is the right forum, I couldn't see one that looked more appropriate.

Has anyone experienced playing their bass through a system with subwoofer as opposed to an amp?

At the moment I'm playing the bass through a couple of 6" studio monitors and it sounds okay but to get a heavier low end I'm thinking about getting an actual bass amp. Then I thought maybe if I add a subwoofer to the speakers (a matching studio monitor one rather than a home entertainment one) it would produce the lows just as well as a bass amp would.

Any thoughts?

You may need to be a bit more specific in how you intend to do this. Could you indicate which amp you're using, which monitors and which sub you're looking at..? Usually, they'd need to be some sort of filtration in the chain, so that the sub gets the low frequencies only. Is this part of the plan..? Simply coupling a sub, along with the present speakers, may not be at all good for the amp. More detail, please..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1464477754' post='3059801']
You may need to be a bit more specific in how you intend to do this. Could you indicate which amp you're using, which monitors and which sub you're looking at..? Usually, they'd need to be some sort of filtration in the chain, so that the sub gets the low frequencies only. Is this part of the plan..? Simply coupling a sub, along with the present speakers, may not be at all good for the amp. More detail, please..?
[/quote]

The monitors are active KRK RP6 (built-in amps) and the subwoofer would be the matching one. It would all be set up properly with the subwoofer feeding the audio above the cutoff to the 6-inch speakers.

Just to clarify, I'm not using a bass amp of any kind either currently or in this hypothetical setup. The bass goes into an audio interface which then feeds the active monitors.

Thanks for the clarification; that looks to be just fine and dandy. No, you'll not need a dedicated bass amp, but be a little bit cautious in the volume levels used. Hifi gear is not as tolerant as gigging stuff when subjected to extreme playing conditions. At 'normal' domestic volume, it should be fine. That's pretty decent gear; t'would be shame to abuse it. Enjoy. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1464480349' post='3059806']
Thanks for the clarification; that looks to be just fine and dandy. No, you'll not need a dedicated bass amp, but be a little bit cautious in the volume levels used. Hifi gear is not as tolerant as gigging stuff when subjected to extreme playing conditions. At 'normal' domestic volume, it should be fine. That's pretty decent gear; t'would be shame to abuse it. Enjoy. B)
[/quote]

Volume level won't be a problem unfortunately, have to be courteous of neighbours.

One day when I win the lottery I'll build myself a big house up the hills in the middle of nowhere and play so loud I get through around the room with the sound waves lol