Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sunbeams .v. Fatbeams - What differences have you found?

Hamster

I'm going to put a set of these on my Stingray, as I think they will both be a good match to the bass and the sound I like (typical Stingray)

Both strings look really good, but what differences have users found - if any? I might well end up buying a set of both, and putting some on my Sub4 backup bass.

Cheers

Hamster

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='293610' date='Sep 27 2008, 09:20 PM']I know a lot of people on here swear by the high beams, but I prefered the Marcus Miller fat beams. I ordered them especially for my Marcus Miller Jazz & they felt just right - Softer feeling than the usual bright sounding strings & with a really full bodied, bright sound. Try some. I really liked them.[/quote]

I use the Hi Beams on my 5 string Lakland and they're superb on that. I use the 5 string for different music than the Stingray which is for rock/blues, which is why I'm looking for a little less "zing" than the Hi Beams.

Have you tried the Sunbeams at all?

Hi there
Ive been using the sunbeams for about a year now, they have a lovely rich tone, and a great smooth feel ,i do think they may be more what your after as they have a smooth treble thats not too zingy, but retains the high end when they die off, the fat beams i hav,nt tried but would like too they are steel while the sunbeams are nickel, i have sunbeams on my sterling and they really balance out the sound (especially as it has a maple neck), i used the hi beams for a long time then started using d,addarios as i have a preference for nickel.
Its a shame ive just moved house and gotrid of a couple of old sets, otherwise id have sent them to you to try(after a good boiling) i am thinking of trying the fatbeams on my warwick 5 as it could use a bit more bite, but im very happy with the sunbeams.
Let me know what you think of the fatbeams if you get both- all the best- lee

I use the Hi Beams on my 5 string Lakland and they're superb on that. I use the 5 string for different music than the Stingray which is for rock/blues, which is why I'm looking for a little less "zing" than the Hi Beams.

Have you tried the Sunbeams at all?

I've put Sunbeams on the Stingray, and Fatbeams on the Sub4. I'm really loving the Sunbeams :) Maybe it's my ears but the bass sounds louder. I read DR's blurb about their string's metal content giving better output - maybe they're right?

I'm getting the exact range of sound sound I want - very satisfied.

The only way to describe the Fatbeams is that they're a stainless steel Sunbeam - all the warmth and lovliness but with a bit more treble.

Great stuff
thought you,d like the sunbeams, mind you after your description i might try a set of fatbeams, do they have the smooth feel like the sunbeams :huh:

I've put Sunbeams on the Stingray, and Fatbeams on the Sub4. I'm really loving the Sunbeams :) Maybe it's my ears but the bass sounds louder. I read DR's blurb about their string's metal content giving better output - maybe they're right?

I'm getting the exact range of sound sound I want - very satisfied.

The only way to describe the Fatbeams is that they're a stainless steel Sunbeam - all the warmth and lovliness but with a bit more treble.