Why become a member? ×

Tone How To

taha_never

It's a studio recording. The problem with that is even if you have the bassist on the recording's actual bass guitar, effects and rig there will also most definitely be extra EQ and compression added in the recording and mixing process to sit the bass nicely into the final mix and this will have a significant impact on the sound of the bass. Also IME it won't sound right without the same mix for instruments supporting the bass.

I'd start off with some drive/distortion and a volume boost, play high up on the neck and lower strings, and then play with the EQ and drive settings to fit it in around the rest of your band's sounds.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1462556300' post='3044059']
Closest pedal I own that has a really barking midrange to stand out in the mix like that is the Pike Vulcan with the colour knob over to the left. Sounds particularly awesome with a Precision or T-Bird with bright roundwound strings:

The MXR Bass Distortion sounds like it could fit the bill too, cheaper and more easily available and gets glowing reviews (I've not tried one though):

[/quote]

I have the MXR-M85, however unless I get a gig with Korn, I'm not sure I'll ever use it.

Blue

Edited by blue