Why become a member? ×

SOLD ** G&L M2000 Tribute (with U-Retro Deluxe preamp)
£350

dmckee

Unusual white M2000 Tribute, from a small initial batch that didn’t go into full production. White body, matching headstock, no binding, vintage tint on neck.

It’s a great sounding bass in its own right (pickups and electronics are the same as the USA G&Ls) but I had a John East U-Retro Deluxe preamp lying around so I had it put in, wiring it to run at 18v. I think it improves the bass significantly. the bass has been very lightly used, condition as new really.

The U-Retro mean the bass now has controls for: volume, blend, treble (with treble boost pull), bass, mid with mid frequency sweep, plus an active/passive push/pull combined with a passive tone control. There are some internal controls and jumpers inside which can do things like change it to a flat response etc that I’ve not really played with. Phew.

First of all, I think the core tone of the John East is better. But the two key interesting additions here are the sweepable mid – I like boosting the mids a little near the bottom of the sweep for a bit extra low end warmth without any boom – and also the passive switching and tone control. The M2000 stock preamp has no passive mode. It’s nice to hear those humbuckers passively and roll the tone off for a bit more old school tone. So, this preamp give a massive range of tonal options to an already great bass.

I do still have the original M2000 preamp which I will ship with the bass. Alternatively, if you want the stock one back in, I will get that done prior to shipping and I’ll sell the U-Retro separately.

You’ll also see I have added Dunlop strap locks and a black scratchplate, which I just think makes the bass look cooler. :-)

I genuinely love this bass, but a USA G&L came up on this forum which I couldn’t resist so I need a bit of money to help pay for that (and no trades please). If you haven't tried a G&L bass yet, do yourself a favour. The most underrated basses around.

Based in Edinburgh but can ship at cost.

Edited by dmckee