Why become a member? ×

Hofner artist

beerdragon

My first bass was similar to this one but had switches on it. i remember it was nice to play but cant remember much about the sound as i was probably going through a cheap guitar combo. this way to much for me to pay for a bit of nostalgia. this guy also has an album i bought when it came out in the seventies called the Bangor flying circus, crap then, but he wants nearly thirty quid for it!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330273566557"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330273566557[/url]

That's very nice - all original, pristine condition, contemporary case, and one of the rarest and most sought-after of the solid-body Hofner basses.

I doubt he'll get near £590 in the current market, but a year ago that would have been a reasonable target.

Sound? Short-scale thud, especially when fitted with period-correct flatwound strings. Ideal for early 60's pop through a crap combo (so no surprise there then), but the limitations soon show up when played through modern equipment.

I've fitted one of mine (yes, I have more than one) with rounds and obviously that makes quite a difference, but this remains a niche bass. Loads of fun to play, and looks uber-cool in the right set-up, but it's hardly going to oust my Lakland when I'm gigging.