Why become a member? ×

Tanglewood Canyon

BigBadBassman

Hi Guys,

I quite fancy the look of the Tanglewood Canyon Basses - like the Curbow but more organic and they've had encouraging reviews
Has anybody got 1 or tried 1?

I'd be interested in your views as I'm sort of considering getting the fretless version.

Not that I need another bass, but then when has need ever had anything to do with GAS?

Tim

RRP is £330 for the five string Canyon I and £300 for either of the 4 string versions

try looking around the web as well... hmmm... seems web price is £270 for the four string & £300 for five string

That shop price is looking pretty good at £215

Also actually try playing the one in the shop... if it works for you (sound and feels right and you feel it's the one for you), then pay the shop price if you can't get it down any further and avoid the hassle of buying sight unseen...

Edited by Paul Cooke

• 2 weeks later...

I sold a Canyon 3 to cash converters yesterday for £200 as it was stuck up in the loft unplayed. It looked fantastic in the spalted maple finish but to be honest it sucked big time and is vastly overpriced.
There isn't much you can do with it tonally (a fellow basschatter though the electrics were broken it was so limited !) and the lower horn on the body is so short it is really uncomfortable to play sitting down.
Not sure if I got a bad example, but the routing on the back was that rough it was snagging my shirt and I had to sand it down.
Eye candy only I'm afraid - but if you are still convinced you want one there is one in Cash Converters in Bootle !

• 3 years later...

I bought a Canyon 1 about a year ago after reluctantly selling a 1978 Jazz bass (natural,maple) in mint condition. I part-exed a Ned Callan (knobbly) fretless for the Canyon and only had to put another £150 in. The bass seemed fine when I tried it in the shop - flawless black finish, not a huge variety of sounds as there's only one pick-up but a welcome relief from the Jazz in that I didn't need a forklift to pick it up. However, once I got it home and started playing, some technical problems became apparent. The first - and most serious - was that batteries lasted for about a day. As it was the first active I'd had I wasn't sure how long they should last but but assumed it was longer than that. Then the volume dropped significantly. Then it stopped producing any sound whatsoever. This was over a couple of weeks. The neighbours were happy but I wasn't, so I took it back to the shop. They kept it and had a look at the innards. I went to pick it up a couple of weeks later and they said that they couldn't really find anything wrong but they'd re-soldered a couple of joints. Great - after two guitarless weeks I couldn't wait to get it home. Unfortunately, it was hardly any better - thanks JG Guitars in Storrington! Despatate, I took it to a guitar shop in Brighton and they got a proper guitar tech to look at it. He couldn't believe the state of the wiring and ended up resoldering everything and changing a couple of components. Result! Fifty quid lighter but no further problems.

I think this this is a fantastic guitar - light, fast, great-looking and (electronics aside) very well finished. I wish I still had the Jazz, but mainly for sentimental reasons. The Canyon is much nicer to play and I'm currently looking for another one. I've read a lot of comments of a similar nature to this which suggests Tanglewood have neglected to invest in a quality control department. If they ever do they'll be onto a winner.

A Canyon 2 is my lads first proper bass, he loves it and will let no-one near it. I've had a couple of plays and it really is very nice indeed, lovely feel, easy to play and a massive variation in available sounds from the preamp.

I had to repair a bit of soldering when he first got it (it was 2nd hand) and the electronics looked like they had been installed by a 4 year old. Simple enough job though and its not missed a beat since.

Under rated bargains in my opinion, but then we seem to have had a different experience to one or two others as his is beautifully finished. However, to put into context he played a mexican Jazz Deluxe in a shop once and, after some pressure from his band mates, he found a good one secondhand which is now his mainstay. I don't think the Canyon will be for sale though.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150294473036337&set=o.134652523260309&type=3&theater

(sorry about the poor quality)

Edited by 4 Strings