Why become a member? ×

NAD- Glockenklang Blue Rock

Bobthedog

A long but fun day at the LBGS and just home with my new Glock Blue Rock. I am too tired to put it through its paces, but initial thoughts are that the sound is superb, however, the volume is very quiet through either my Stingray or Roscoe. I will play about tomorrow, meanwhile the obligatory (iPhone) picture:

[attachment=214593:IMG_1238.JPG]

Great stuff!

Re volume - up the gain till the peak light blips at a heavy pluck - this was about 2 o'clock on my bass. That made a massive difference in volume compared to the 'default' 12 o'clock setting.

Also, remember that the master is logarithmic and really kicks in after 12 o'clock.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Edited by Roland Rock

Roland,
Many thanks for the tip. I get to about 12.30 on the gain before the peak light starts to flicker, either way I am much happier with the sound this morning. I think 14 hours of international travelling on Friday followed by a day at the LBGS made me a) too tired and B) deaf.

Anyway, I will not do a review such as the one done by Roland, that sums up the BR beautifully (search for Rock around the Glock). I will say, however, that an hour of scales / funk practice this morning with the Roscoe (aguilar pickups / preamp) through two TC RS212s at 25% volume was almost orgasmic in the sound. I found myself actually dancing whilst playing some of the funk stuff (especially the Melvin Davis / Lee Ritenour version of Papa was a Rolling Stone as suggested as a must play by Freakbass at LBGS yesterday), something I do not usually do. I will play around later today with some blues / jazz and some basic rock through the driven channel and come back.

Anyhow, based on now, Wow! Buttery and warm have been used before, I would also add clarity and tightness around the notes. This amp will reproduce any flubs in your technique as it just repeats what the bass as played with no subtraction, however, based on an hour, get it all right and this thing rewards you in spades. The EQ section was played switched off so I will also play around with that during today (I have binned going to the LBGS today just to play with the amp) If you get a chance to get to BassDirect and play on one, please do.

A huge financial investment but to me, right now just amazing. NB I have only played through four amps in my short bass career (two times Roland, one Tecamp 900 and my RH750) so perhaps I am biased but so far I cannot fault the BR.

PS Thanks to Mark at Bass Direct for bringing the amp into London for me yesterday so I did not have to wait until next weekend to collect!

Edited by Bobthedog