Why become a member? ×

Powering a whammy pedal on a board

truegeminis

I'm planning to rebuild and tidy up my pedal board and would prefer to keep power supplies on the board to a minimum. So I've been looking at gigrig, t-rex and pedaltrain power solutions, but I haven't been able to find a solution that would also power my whammy pedal so that I can ditch the bulky adapter. The closest I've found is the T-Rex which has a 12v AC, but the Whammy is 9v AC.

Anyone know of a suitable power solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A Gig-Rig Timelord adapter will do the trick I think. This means you'll be able to power the Whammy from whatever power supply you eventually choose (assuming it provides enough MA). Even if you're daisy chaining your pedal power, the TimeLord will then isolate what's being sent to the Whammy (which often helps with digital pedals). Perfec'

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1456749436' post='2991857']
A Gig-Rig Timelord adapter will do the trick I think. This means you'll be able to power the Whammy from whatever power supply you eventually choose (assuming it provides enough MA). Even if you're daisy chaining your pedal power, the TimeLord will then isolate what's being sent to the Whammy (which often helps with digital pedals). Perfec'

Si
[/quote]

I think that will only work with the newer Whammy pedals which take DC power.... the older ones needed AC

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1456749613' post='2991864']
I think that will only work with the newer Whammy pedals which take DC power.... the older ones needed AC
[/quote]

Ah ok, well, drop Gig-Rig an email, there doesn't seem to be much they can't accommodate :)

Si

Which model is it? I definitely know in the xp-100 all the power is regulated down to 5V before it hits the board, so in theory you'd be perfectly fine running it off 12VAC, the regs would run a little hotter but I think you'd get away with it, the main reg is heatsinked anyway. I can't speak for any of the other models though, there don't appear to be any schematics available.

DISCLAIMER - I once left my house while it was raining and walked a full 20ft before I realized I'd forgotten to put on shoes. When contemplating whether to act upon advice that may very well cause explosions, consider the source.