Why become a member? ×

Heads that don't need a speaker load

Tee

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1456303254' post='2987467']
So if you don't need a cab with a given amp does this mean you can connect a cab rated below the minimum recommended ampedence.
[/quote]

Nooooo!

No cab means an very high/infinite impedance and so no current from the amp

Low impedances draw very high currents potentially damaging the amp.

The TH500 doesn't need a load - saw Dave from Aguilar discussing it a while back on Talkbass.

& +1 to Phil. Not a good idea to connect a cab below the minimum impedance...unless you like smoke.

[[Quick (related-ish) question - My TH500 is on the way from a fellow BC'r but I don't have a cab for it yet. I'll be using it with a variety of cabs until I can afford a pair of those DB112s :D

Obviously I can run it into 2 x 8ohm or 1 x 4ohm cab, but is there any way I can use it with a combo? It'd be great to still have the TH sound in any situation.]]

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456223958' post='2986704']
I think perhaps that has been copied and pasted from one of the Orange valve amp manuals. I've yet to see a modern solid state (or hybrid) amp that couldn't be run without a load.
[/quote]Orange themselves may have copied and pasted from an old valve manual (but one with built in D.I.) when creating their new manuals, but my posting was straight from the OTB500/1000 manual :)

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1456431394' post='2989055']
Orange themselves may have copied and pasted from an old valve manual (but one with built in D.I.) when creating their new manuals, but my posting was straight from the OTB500/1000 manual :)
[/quote]

I know, but what I mean is I think they copied it from the ad200b manual and pasted it into the OTB manual!