Why become a member? ×

Amp for an acoustic bass guitar

Ukrobbiej

Hi guys, first post here, and sorry to start with a question. I have an acoustic bass guitar being made for me by Brook guitars in Devon, nearly due for completion. It's in the spraying booth as we speak :)

I have two questions. Firstly, what pickups do people recommend? I am looking at k&k or headway. I have k&k in all my other acoustic instruments (guitars and mandolin) but not sure how it would perform in a bass with its bigger body (it will be a Gibson j200sized body).

Secondly what to amplify it with. I already have a nice acoustic amp, and Acus One 8, and a HeadwY EBD-2 preamp. I was thinking of adding a subwoofer to cope with the lower frequencies, but am not adverse to buying something more specific to the task. I have been researching Acoustic Image and Euphonic Audio. What about Phil Jones?

To put it in contex, I will be using this bass for gigs with my mandolin ensemble, so won't be playing at humongous volumes. Also, to try and put it politely, I know people don't think acoustic bass guitars work, but there are very specific musical reasons I went for one, not least of which is that playing a fender jazz alongside a load of mandolins just looks plain wrong. Also I am after a double bass sort of sound, so any amplification should be capable of reproducing as natural a sound as possible. I'm not interested in built in tuners or limiters.

Thanks for your time and help,

Robbie
https://robbiej1.bandcamp.com/album/the-road-to-easterbrook-and-other-journeys

With my fretless Takamine B10 (with La Bella 760FS strings) I use the factory fitted Takamine Palathetic pickup and a built-in Takamine CT4B preamp.

I have a Headway EDB-1 but only use it on upright.

Amplification is either Phil Jones Bass Briefcase (100watt, 2x5") or Mesa Walkabout Scout (300watt, 1x12").

This has always worked fine for me in band with acoustic guitar, tenor guitar, ukulele, mandolin, electric piano, percussion.

Edited by EssentialTension

Low frequency energy is something to avoid anywhere close to this sort of bass. The K&K will be fine, but run it into a really good external preamp, with a high pass filter if possible. The headway should be fine, but also look at the Fdeck design..very simple but effective.

Flat wound strings will help get an warm sound, the Thomastiks are great (higher action will sound better and make them less floppy) as are the black plastic ones. Also a cover on the sound hole can help reduce proximity feedback from an amp.

Really, it's as little monitoring as you can work with close by, and get the sound through whatever PA is available.

My favourites have been a PJB Cub (limited volume, but a great monitor) and a Mambo jazz guitar amp (think modern Polytone..simple but works).