Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

300 watts? 500 watts? 900 watts? it doesn't matter.

mcnach

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1454451204' post='2969961']

Do you mean 8x15?! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259954-custom-8x15-bass-cabinet/page__st__240__p__2823274__hl__8x15__fromsearch__1#entry2823274"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/259954-custom-8x15-bass-cabinet/page__st__240__p__2823274__hl__8x15__fromsearch__1#entry2823274[/url]
[/quote]
Eeeek! Yes I did, thanks lol

I always found the Streamliner (and the TC, and a few similar heads before it) would get lost in the mix too easily, and I'd find myself nudging the volume up on an effort to get some tactile response from it. After a certain volume, when the magic electronic power management kicket in, it would go flubby and lose its shape.

Whenever I went back to my Walkabout, AG500 or more trad amp, I'd find I'd have a more authoritative 'present' tone at a much lower volume. It just had more about it.

All IME, obviously.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1454455850' post='2970028']
I always found the Streamliner (and the TC, and a few similar heads before it) would get lost in the mix too easily, and I'd find myself nudging the volume up on an effort to get some tactile response from it. After a certain volume, when the magic electronic power management kicket in, it would go flubby and lose its shape.

Whenever I went back to my Walkabout, AG500 or more trad amp, I'd find I'd have a more authoritative 'present' tone at a much lower volume. It just had more about it.

All IME, obviously.
[/quote]

I had an RH450 and although I initially liked it a lot (partly swayed by the small size and low weight, my first small amp!), I grew to detest it. The bottom end was like... a photograph, not real. Hard to put my finger on it. The Streamliner seems so much better to me. But there's something about its voicing that sometimes in some places it just won't work. 70% of the times I'll be ok, but those 30% really are frustrating. It has to do with the kind of sound I want, I suppose.
The MarkBass LM3 seems to have a different air, however. It never disappoints me. It always seems to work for me.

It's been a long time I haven't used a more conventional amplifier. Have you tried the Mesa D800? I only had a brief encounter with it last week, but it impressed me. It seemed a bit different from what I'm used to from these small heads. Hard to describe...
I hope to borrow one (thanks Deek!) next Monday for a couple of hours and get a better feel for what it sounds like. I will take both the Streamliner and the LM3 along so that I can have a better comparison.