Why become a member? ×

Which cab

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hey all

I am new to the world of bigger rigs for double bass, my GKMB 150 always sufficed in the past but I need a bigger rig now.

I have a limited budget of around £400 and need a cab for a hybrid double bass with a shadow pickup, I will be driving it with a GK 1001 RBII and need to get as much volume as I can, i'm playing funky Jazz rock, any advice please ?

Edited by subaudio

I'm using a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10.5s (or just one for quieter gigs) and they're just perfect. Of course you have to build them youself, unless you know someone who's a bit handy with a circular saw.

If you want shop bought, I'd have a look at the Aguilar GS series 12" cabs or the Genz Benz 12" neo cabs. Both sounded great when I tried them with my electric upright.

Guest subaudio

Thanks for this chaps, how many watts does a 12" cab throw out, I'm wanting to be able to be at at least 500 to get over the drummer etc, also any tips on stopping feedback?

[quote name='subaudio' post='285557' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:44 AM']and need to get as much volume as I can[/quote]

Have you considered a magnetic pickup?

If volume's the most important, how about a cleanish 4x10?

I use a Markbass 4x10 with the same head as you. Not exactly dripping with acoustic beauty, but punchy and loud.