Why become a member? ×

Drivetime - Xotic BB Bass,MXR M89 Bass overdrive,EHX Bass Soul food.... Your thoughts please.

Signal Path

Hello chaps,I was wondering if you've had any experience with any, or all of the above pedals.
I'm looking for a versitile OD/distortion,I already have a DHA VT-1 eq pedal which I love and is my "always on" pedal,but wanted a pedal to kick it up to 11 but NOT in a Fuzz way.
A) The Xotic BB.... To me this is my favourite,sounds the best, from listening to YouTube
B)The MXR M89 Bass overdrive.. liked this pedal initially,but have my doubts,although in its defence there are a very limited number of decent YouTube vids available.
C)This sounds good too, but there are some decent videos showing what it can do, unlike the MXR
I just want to get it as right as I can before I go for something, as I have no way of auditioning all these pedals,I thought I'd ask you guys,knowing the knowledgeable bunch that reside on here.
Any help/advice would be greatly received.
Many thanks in advance.
Steve

Any of these pedals could be up to the task, it really depends on a bunch of factors - your bass, strings, amp, playing style, and what tones, modern or vintage, that you're trying to get. I have half a dozen overdrive pedals and each one is the best for a certain job with a certain bass!

I only have the BB out of that list, it's very touch sensitive and expressive, a creamy drive with lots of lows. I prefer this one with a Precision or Yamaha BB played fingerstyle for example.

I've never tried the MXR, but I wasn't bowled over by the clips.

The Bass Soul Food looks like a great pedal for blending in some distorted midrange/treble with your clean signal, sound like it has great clarity. It's hard to tell if you'd prefer this or the BB, you're the only one that can really decide!

Edited by dannybuoy