Why become a member? ×

Cab suited to AMPEG BA-210 Combo

RhythmSection

Hi All,

In the past I have used combos on their own, twiddled with the sound until I got somewhere near what I or the band wanted, listened from the audience perspective and then just got on with it.

I now have an Ampeg BA-210 which is rated 283W @ 8 ohms and 450W @ 4 ohms and has a single jack plug for an 8 ohm extension. I may (emphasis on may) want to add an extension cab to reap the full benefit from the combo.

I have read on this forum a lot about amps, cabs, impedance etc, but am still confused and could use some guidance please.

I may want to add a single 210, 212 or 115 cab. So to work well with the BA-210, I think I'm looking for a cab rated at more than 450W @ 4 Ohms (say 500W). On many dealers sites I can only see the 8 ohm rating for Cab's, so that leaves me more confused.

So - What specification should I be looking for in an extension cab to work with the BA-210?

and - has anyone paired a BA-210 with a Cab, if so which model/brand, and how is it working out?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

What you want is a cab capable of handling 250 watts (or more) at 8ohms. Plugging that in will then get the amp providing the full 450 watts at 4ohms, split between each cab - so 225 watts to each 8ohm cab.

I`d look at Ampeg cabs to start off with. The SVT CLassic Range do a 1x15, only handles 200 watts but to be honest, I doubt you`d be pushing the amp to full volume so that should be ok - use your ears to hear if it struggles. Or their Portaflex Series - they have two 115s, both handle 400 watts.

I think currently there are examples of these in the For Sale section on here.

• 6 years later...

RS- like the man said stick with the Ampeg. I run the BA210 with the SVT 115EN. For larger gigs and only. It’s a monster for sure, heavy but the wheels help. You can’t beat the tone and it moves the air, they will “feel” you for sure and I never have been over 7 on the master. She barks loud.