Why become a member? ×

cant get on to site with safari

frank

safari wont open the site for me. i use internet exploreer to get on to the site which is ok until i want to open a link to a clip.
then i go into safari with the address of the clip.
what am i doing wrong

im using mac osx 10.3.9 and safari 1.3.2
i have just set up broadband i thought this would solve the problem , its been like this since the new site set up
i didnt worry about it because i was getting broadband but its still the same
have i something set wrong
the message i get when i try to get on to the site with safari is

cant open page
error bad server response
(insurlError domain:-1011

like the new skin its clean and easy to read

[quote name='phatmonkey' post='29414' date='Jul 9 2007, 09:57 PM']That's odd, it works fine for me with Safari 2.0.4. Can you get me a screenshot? It sounds like you're going through a proxy or something, maybe your ISP is filtering traffic.[/quote]

im fairly stoneage when it comes to this sort of thing.havent a clue how to get a screen shot
can i just hit it with something fairly large

[quote name='frank' post='29429' date='Jul 9 2007, 11:13 PM']im fairly stoneage when it comes to this sort of thing.havent a clue how to get a screen shot
can i just hit it with something fairly large[/quote]

Ummmmmmmmmmm, so if I said "empty the cache, then try reloading the page" you would......................? :)

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='30077' date='Jul 10 2007, 10:36 PM']Ummmmmmmmmmm, so if I said "empty the cache, then try reloading the page" you would......................? :)

Hamster[/quote]

hit it with something fairly large

but seriously im stumped with this.its probably something simple
that should be on or off. can anyone help

[quote name='frank' post='30096' date='Jul 11 2007, 12:08 AM']hit it with something fairly large

but seriously im stumped with this.its probably something simple
that should be on or off. can anyone help[/quote]

I'll try.

1. With Safari open, go to the 'Safari' menu and select 'Empty Cache...'

2, If it asks if you are sure, click on 'Empty'.

2. Quit Safari.

3. Open Safari and try the site again.

4. Either bask in the pale, weak sunlight that is my knowledge,and exclaim, "By all that is bass cleffed, it seems to have worked.", or bounce the spanner aforementioned by Toasted, off my skull, exclaiming "Medically speaking, the browsing software type patient is still unconscious". As I will also be, once the spanner impacts.

5. Seriously though, let me know if that works.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

Its my internet security software, i uninstalled it and hey presto !

it was out of date anyway. It was norton internet security 3.0
and it was fairly slow, so ive got a trial version of intego virus barrier x4
just installed it so no idea what its like

is antivirus software on the mac just overkill, what are the rest of you mac people using
some advice would be greatfully accepted but keep it simple please

feeling kinda naked now or is it just paranoid

[quote name='frank' post='30508' date='Jul 11 2007, 11:57 PM']Its my internet security software, i uninstalled it and hey presto !

is antivirus software on the mac just overkill, what are the rest of you mac people using

feeling kinda naked now or is it just paranoid[/quote]

I know nothing about Mac OS, but I know that Norton is rubbish - dump it now, and find a free download antivirus and firewall for Mac OS.

Hamster

[quote name='frank' post='30508' date='Jul 11 2007, 11:57 PM']Its my internet security software, i uninstalled it and hey presto !

feeling kinda naked now or is it just paranoid[/quote]

I use ClamXav. It's free, and is regularly updated. The Intego stuff is definitely better than the Norton. So far, no-one has released a working virus out in the wild that affects Macs. A few proof of concept things have appeared in research laboratories. Some say that nothing has been released because the Mac isn't a big enough target. Not sure if I entirely agree with this, as there would be massive kudos to the first person to create a working piece of Mac malware that spread in the wild. Windows is generally an easier target.

OS X is generally far more secure than Windows, but no computer system is absolutely secure. Mac OS X still has potential insecurities that pop up every now and again, and one day..... As a precaution, and to stop you being a 'carrier' and inadvertently passing on a Windows virus to anyone, I'd recommend either the Intego software if you're happy paying, or the ClamXav if not.

[url="http://www.clamxav.com/"]ClamXav is available here[/url] There's some good info here about the history of virii on Macs.

Incidentally, make sure that the firewall that comes with Mac OS X is fully on.

1. Go to the 'System Preferences' icon in your Dock
2. Click on the 'Sharing' icon
3. Click on the 'Firewall' tab
4. Click on the button marked 'Start' to start the firewall if it isn't already on.

Definitely get rid of the Norton stuff - it's no better on the Mac than on Windows, and whatever you end up using, only run one anti-virus application.

Thanks for the help lads.my ip address starts with 192.168 so i should be ok :)
gonna go look into the CLAM XAV stuff.
Today i also heard about AVG its free, but dont know if it works on mac
also panda and avast if this is any help to anyone else.

Even though its probably overkill i like to have things covered and not pass on harmfull stuff to others

Shergold: a million thanks for that link to ClamXav. I despise Symantec and all of its expensive, resource-hungry paranoia-fuelling Norton products. I've been on the lookout for a free AV package for my OSX machine for ages, and this one fits the bill nicely. Ta! :)

Just because there aren't any viruses being written specifically for Mac OSX right now (a situation that only pertains because of Apple's pathetically tiny market share), that's no excuse not to have an AV product onboard adn keep it up to date. Mac users share data with Windows users all the time. We have no right to allow our machines to act as portals for infection, regardless of which operating system is the target.

Edited by Oxblood