Why become a member? ×

Electro accoustic guitar through bass amp

Tony p

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience in playing electro accoustic guitar through a bass amp?
I'm going to be taking over bass duties in addition to my accoustic guitar parts in our punk/folk band. We use 6 &12 string electro guitars with a bit of gain through amps, fiddle with various delays and a bodhran which allways goes straight through pa, no drumkit.
I don't want to be lugging 2 amps about, so any ideas on a suitable bass amp/ combo ( budget about 250-300 squid, that I could plug both into? I go for a punchy sort of bass sound ( early new model armyish...) so don't need anything to handle dub reggae ;)
I don't want to rely on the guitar through pa if I can help it as most gigs I play are festies with a short/ non existent soundcheck and pretty ropey onstage sound...
Apologies for the essay of a post
Tony

Hi Tony,

I ran a small music shop for a couple of years and one of my pet hates was the sound of electro acoustic guitars plugged in In particular, I felt that a couple of the big brand name acoustic guitar amps were awful - the sound just never worked for me. One day while a customer was trying one out and I didn't have any acoustic amps in stock I plugged the guitar into a bass amp. To my ears it sounded way better, far more natural than any of the cheaper acoustic amps. OK, it may have struggled next to an AER, but compared to Marshall, Fender and Ashdown it sounded so much more natural and acoustic.

Give it a go - hopefully you'll enjoy the results as much as I did!