Why become a member? ×

YouTube. Chancers?

BassBus

I uploaded a video to YouTube a few days ago. I found today it had been "challenged" with a copyright infringement complaint. Strange as Silent Night was written nearly 200 years ago so well in the public domain. I arranged, played and recorded the whole thing so not using anyone else's backing music. The complaint informed me I didn't have to do anything but the "complainant" could put ads in front of it.

I lodged a challenge to this and within seconds the following appeared in my email inbox:

"Good news! Your dispute wasn't reviewed within 30 days, so the copyright claim on your YouTube video has now been released".

This is the second time this has happened with public domain material in videos I have uploaded. Is this YouTube finding any excuse to put ads in front of videos? Discuss.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1450394832' post='2932475']
This is the second time this has happened with public domain material in videos I have uploaded. Is this YouTube finding any excuse to put ads in front of videos? Discuss.
[/quote]

Sounds more like someone lodging complaints in the hope that people just go with it (since it does not stop the video, just adds adverts) and thereby hoping to make a few pounds for free. I'd imagine this is far more likely than a conspiracy from Google themselves. Will be interesting to hear if anyone else has experience with this.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1450394832' post='2932475']

[/quote]

When you upload is there any form filling/box ticking regarding copyright? In this instance you are the copyright owner of the recording. If you have significantly re-arranged the piece you can also claim the writing credit as Trad. Arr BassBus.

I wouldn't think it was a Youtube ploy, just some smart@rse looking for unregistered work to claim as Naethru suggests, in the hope that if they do hundereds they may pick up a handful and get the ad revenue.