Why become a member? ×

###Newbi to site, Help needed with custom bass - wiring etc ###

BIG.J

Hi, I am new to this site and would like to introduce myself.
I am 26 and live in Cheshire, I have played bass for around 10 years and i enjoy playing Slap bass (Mark King style) I play in a 5 piece band covering tracks from 60's - 80's. I am married with 2 kids and enjoy Fishing & Shooting. My setup consists of a Westone Thunder 1 A Bass and a Laney 160w 1,15 combo.

NOW MY PROBLEM!

I have a lovely Laminated bass body from the states for a custom project.

I have picked up a set of 4 string Bartolini (Status/Alembic) soapbar type pickups.

I believe the majority of these pickups are passive.

I bought them from the US but the seller had no idea about wiring etc.

I like playing slap and originally wanted an Active system but i think using these quality pickups, they will produce a great sound.

If i use a passive circuit then maybe i could use a booster (Mid Pot) etc.

I currently use an old Westone Thunder 1A bass and had thought of using its complete wiring circuit?

I am struggling to find a decent neck and had also planned on using the westone neck with LED's installed and a modified ibanez musician type headstock.

Any help or ideas would be great, Cracking site :)

See Pics attached.

Many thanks
Justin :huh:

Edited by xverminate

Welcome to the boards! :)

I've got to admit I'd be inclined to leave the Westone alone, but that's because I have a soft spot for Matsumoku built basses. Have you thought about a Warmouth neck?

As for the pickups, Bart have got their wiring instructions here [url="http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/pickups/passive/switching/Switch_Wiring_DualCoil_Pickups4_cond.pdf"]http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/pick...ckups4_cond.pdf[/url]

[quote name='Musky' post='282909' date='Sep 12 2008, 08:57 PM']I've got to admit I'd be inclined to leave the Westone alone, but that's because I have a soft spot for Matsumoku built basses. Have you thought about a Warmouth neck?[/quote]

Welcome to the site you have come to the right place........but please don't butcher the Westone they are excellent basses , I sold my 1A to a fellow basschatter a few months ago .
When you decide on the electrics I'll be more than happy to help with the diagrams.