Why become a member? ×

P/J Bass Pickup Interaction

joescartwright

Hi All,

I have a P/J bass wired up as vol/vol/tone and have noticed a definite difference in the character of the P pickup sound compared to my straight up P bass. I was wondering if it might be to do with the fact that on this bass there is a single coil in the circuit?

If this is the case, is there an easy way to be able to take the single coil out of the circuit to get that hollow/grindy P bass tone but then pop it back in when I want something more modern sounding?

Cheers in advance!

Some say yes, some say no. With the J turned compleely down though there's still an extra 250k vol pot in the circuit. This sits in parallel with the 250k P vol pot which changes the load on the P pickup which in turn will affect the tone to some degree (it will sound a little less bright). You could insert a mini switch to isolate the J vol pot when not using the J pup which would leave the P au naturel.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1449399276' post='2923113']
Some say yes, some say no. With the J turned compleely down though there's still an extra 250k vol pot in the circuit. This sits in parallel with the 250k P vol pot which changes the load on the P pickup which in turn will affect the tone to some degree (it will sound a little less bright). You could insert a mini switch to isolate the J vol pot when not using the J pup which would leave the P au naturel.
[/quote] Or you could change the vol pot to a push-pull switch. if you don't fancy drilling a hole.