Why become a member? ×

Markbass LM Tube 800 - hissy farts!

Raslee

Hi all,

My Markbass amp is making a fizzy farty noise randomly with nothing plugged in to the amp but the speaker. Have changed speakers/leads and still have the same issue, so definitely the amp. It makes a loud buzz, hissing noise (no snake inside ;) ) and then tends to filter out after about 30 seconds or so.....

Sound familiar to anyone????...any tips greatly appreciated :) Anyone know a good repairier near the SouthWest...i bought this amp via here so no warranty sadly.

Cheers

Not an amp expert but my first thought is it the tube in the pre amp? I say that as it filters out eventually, is it going as the tube warms up?.

And too add I have read the amp will work with no tube so if you know what your doing then no harm in pulling the tube and it running all solid state if it still does it then least you know it's Not the tube, if it is the tube then an easy fix. PLEASE don't go poking around in the amp if you ain't sure though and know the dangerous etc!!!

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1449222695' post='2921625']
Not an amp expert but my first thought is it the tube in the pre amp? I say that as it filters out eventually, is it going as the tube warms up?.

And too add I have read the amp will work with no tube so if you know what your doing then no harm in pulling the tube and it running all solid state if it still does it then least you know it's Not the tube, if it is the tube then an easy fix. PLEASE don't go poking around in the amp if you ain't sure though and know the dangerous etc!!!
[/quote]
Cheers for that. Good thinking about the tube. The tube is sadly soldered to the board on these babies. I have a dial on the front to switch between solid state and tube...i'll leave it on the solid state setting and see if i still get the problem. Despite being a social worker now, my first career was as an electrical engineer so am ok delving in...that said i was terrible with electronics which is why I'm probably a social worker now haha :)