Why become a member? ×

Risk assessment & insurance

Kinder

Hi everyone. Not been on for quite a while but I was hoping to get some advice form you lovely people.

We're playng a Christmas do at the ICC in Birmingham tomorrow night and have just been asked for our risk assessment, PAT certificates and public liability insurance docs.

We usually play pubs and private parties so have only been asked for insurance at hotels for the odd wedding. It ran out in August so I'm going to have to sort that out today. Fair enough and it will cover us for any decent sized gigs over the next year. (Eats into our measly fee though!) I used Towergate before - anyone know any other [s]decent[/s] cheap insurers?

And what do we have to do for a risk assessment? Is there a template anywhere we can use? Sounds like a monumental waste of time! :dash1:

Thanks v much.

Andy

Risk assessments are a nightmare... I'd send you the last one I did but haven't got it with me on my laptop.

But this is the sort of thing they are looking for - [url="http://www.fiddlerswreck.co.uk/docs/FiddlersWreck_Risk_Assessments.pdf"]http://www.fiddlersw...Assessments.pdf[/url]

Just out of interest, is it the client asking for this or the ICC? I've played there and never had to do such things. Just make sure all your docs are in order and smile.

Edited by EBS_freak

Most buildings/venues normally want two documents - a Method Statement, and a Risk Assessment, although they can be combined. The method statement is a detailed statement of what you are going to do - i.e. wheel flight cases into venue, unpack equipment, set up and use.

A risk assessment is listing the likely dangers/risks that your method statement would bring up and what you would do to minimise the risk.

For example, you method statement may include "Use ladders to hang lighting and banners". Your Risk Assesment would then need to recognise that working at heights is a risk, and you would need to list the control measures you would use (such as rope barriers, no lone working etc).

Can be quite lengthy if you've not done one before, but once the first one is done, they become a bit of a cut and paste exercise to suit specific situations.

Please note I'm speaking as someone who deals with them in my job, not having done one for a band. I am no expert in this subject by the way!

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like a bit of work but as you say HH, once it's done we've got it if we need it again.

It's the ICC asking for it. We're only playing in one of the small rooms (Hall 8 I think) and it seems over the top. She's left it late as the gig's tomorow!

I ended up reisuring with Towergate for £115 which seems ok...

Thanks again.

Andy