Why become a member? ×

Maverick bass roller controls

MoonBassAlpha

Hi all
I'm doing some work on a Maverick bass which has a typical 3 band eq and 2 roller style controls. One is clearly a volume and the other is some kind of tone.
Info is quite scarce on these but on site alluded to the evolution volume and tone system. It was all designed in collaboration with Trev Wilkinson, but there is no info on what it actually does.
It doesn't seem to be a conventional blend (unless there is an actual fault somewhere!) maybe some weird variable coil tap?

Any insight gratefully welcomed.
Cheers
MBA

Having another play with it this afternoon, I'm coming round to thinking the 2 roller controls are volume for each pickup, it's just that the neck pickup is about a quarter of the volume of the bridge and sounds more trebley. This has all of the hallmarks of a humbucker wired out of phase with itself. I had a Shergold bass with a switch that did this, it's a sound I can think of no practical use for.
Now to investigate the wiring!!

Turns out one of the coils was open circuit, surprising any sound at all got out of that pickup. Rewired it so it is now a single coil at the neck and it sounds fine, just dropped the bridge pickup down to balance the two. So, no great mystery, both roller controls are volumes, not some exotic tone system at all!