Why become a member? ×

Why do I like this???

JJW

[url="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=262114921304&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg"]http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=262114921304&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg[/url]

Would a pine guitar sound any good?

Uh Oh! Tonewood Fight :ph34r:

Seriously though - spruce is used for a lot of acoustic soundboards and pine (and other fairly similar woods) are used in a wide range of structural and
decorative situations. If the piece of wood in question can hold the hardware on, and it's in sufficient thickness to not flex to much in use (i.e. suitably braced hollow body or suitably thick & wide solid body) - you're good to go.

If the wood species effects tone it's subtle - I'd look at lots of things like strings, electronics, bridge, nut, frets, wood density and stiffness, wood mass, wood moisture content, and wood flaws (like voids or knots) before I'd look at species. That said some woods vary more in their mechanical properties than others - pine being a good example. Looking at the shot of the bridge the annual rings are fairly widely spaced - meaning the wood is probably fairly soft and not very dense. If there's hardwood plugs glued in where the screws attach it could work perfectly though.

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1446748820' post='2902068']
I was actually just curious about the pine because I cut down a tree in my garden which was pine and I have started making a guitar from it and I was wondering if it would sound any good.
[/quote]

Might - might not. Truth is how good it can sound depends on a lot of things. For an acoustic it's pretty complex with the flexibility and tuning of the soundboard (and sound post for traditional designs). For a solid body it's much simpler. I estimate At least 80% is the electronics and strings (including preamp, pickups etc). The rest is mainly hardware and setup (how well the nut is cut for example, or how well the strings "break" over the nut and saddle). If the wood stays put and doesn't weigh too much it's good in my book. I also love the way it looks and feels with an oil finish.