Why become a member? ×

Bass for theatre work

flutophilus

[quote name='molan' post='279960' date='Sep 8 2008, 07:53 PM']Where are you based Mr Fluto - I'm sure a few people here would let a 'proper working bassist' try out their equipment - probably a damn sight friendlier than your average bass shop :)[/quote]

I know a man with a few basses....! If you are anywhere near Peterborough, get in touch and you can drop round to my studio!

I do quite a bit of theatre work and my MD will not let me use anything other that my Vigier Arpege! Which is great as its my favourite bass plus I can get any sound required for most of the work we do. I also use a Dean Pace EUB for certain things, a Fender P strung with flats, and a fretless J bass, and sometimes one of my Status basses.

I did JCS a few years ago - great show basswise. I've got Monty coming up; we did it for two weeks last year and the demand for tickets was such that we are doing it again this year - 13 piece big band - sounded awesome. Some great basslines in there too; `Woman's World' one of my faves - espec the section where you can throw in a Bb7 double-stop! (kept getting thumbs up off of the brass guys!!!). `Big Ass Rock' is a nice tune - full of sentiment!

[quote name='flutophilus' post='279862' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:43 PM']Volume pedals a good idea but I'm so not used to having one I fear I'd have it turned off at the wrong time, but any suggestions on a good one?[/quote]

You may want to have a look at a Visual Volume pedal in that case
[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/37001/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/37001/[/url]

[quote]Side LED's are a fun idea but I think I'd have to take a bit of stick if I had those on - I can imagine the band saying things like "does it light up where to put your fingers".[/quote]

Yup I got that for a while. They are great though.

[quote]BTW I have to say that basses and guitars are really good value. I play flute and instruments up to about £1500 are considered student grade. Pros will pay tens of thousands. It's the same with violins - and have you seen the cost of double basses? £1000 wouldn't buy you a decent bow.[/quote]

Yup same with saxes .. I'm constantly amazed how cheap custom basses are compared to saxes.

Regards anyone laughing at side LEDs - well , side markers are there to be seen. Anything that aids that is useful. If anyone doesn't understand that - let them laugh. If you don't refer to side markers - don't have them at all.
Most pit players I've seen have a small light to illuminate their pads - Why? - so they can see it better.

Regarding headless basses. As well as being more portable I do find I have more room when using them in small places. I've never done pit work but I have worked in tiny bars that are the pits!! Yes - there would have been room to play a headed bass but a headless gives you a little bit more room. When seated - why have the end of your instrument 5" away from someone elses music stand when it could be a foot away? Why would you do that?

We're talking about tools here. I think sometimes we forget that. Tools to do a job of work. The job of work is making music - anything our tools can do to help that is good , so our choices should bare that in mind before anything else.

I suppose in certain situations we may wish to use an instrument as 'traditional' as poss. I played a fretless Status in a shop once , headless , ebony on maple with a mahogany body. What's more traditional than that?

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='280153' date='Sep 9 2008, 09:20 AM']Regarding headless basses. As well as being more portable I do find I have more room when using them in small places. I've never done pit work but I have worked in tiny bars that are the pits!! Yes - there would have been room to play a headed bass but a headless gives you a little bit more room. When seated - why have the end of your instrument 5" away from someone elses music stand when it could be a foot away? Why would you do that?[/quote]

Having once nearly removed my sax players right ear I swapped to a headless for the next gig and was amazed at how much more freedom I had to move around :)

I've had a few negative comments about my Zon because it's so tiny and can't be a "real" bass, but I just ignore them

Here's Michael Manring playing his VB

[quote name='molan' post='280162' date='Sep 9 2008, 09:29 AM']Having once nearly removed my sax players right ear I swapped to a headless for the next gig and was amazed at how much more freedom I had to move around :)[/quote]

Yeh - now you've room to take a proper swing you'll def. get the B*****d next time :huh: :huh: :huh: :unsure: