Why become a member? ×

Bi Amping

lineboss58

I got the chance to put together a few bits of gear i have had floating about for a while now for the first time. An ampeg BS preamp a brooke siren modular crossover driving a boogie strategy 400, one side drove a 15" bass speaker for lows and the other drove a 12" bass unit for the highs. The clarity was amazing the family said i was causing the widows to rattle from the garage i was in, its not a very practical rig but it was fun, anyone else use a biamped rig out there?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='278816' date='Sep 6 2008, 03:58 PM']Gonna be soon, totally impractical as I have trouble lugging mine around as it is[/quote]A proper bi-amped rig is not larger than others. A well engineered one is smaller. That's because the top cab can be at least 75% smaller than a full range cab as it doesn't have top carry any bass frequencies. Finding a well engineered bi-amp rig is another matter, no one I'm aware of makes one.

I use a peavey TNT 15" combo, which has a crossover built in. I use the high output to go to a jonhson 2 x 12" guitar combo. It sounds so much better than most rigs I have played, but that's because it's tailored to my tastes I suppose. It's just surprising how much volume I get out of it, and quite funny when compared to some massive bass rigs i.e 8 x 10" or 4 x 10" and 1 x 15" - it easily keeps up.

EDIT: I suppose it's actually "perceived volume" rather than actual SPL?

Edited by cheddatom