Why become a member? ×

Question about GATE in the Deluxe Bass Muff Pi

zawinul

Hi Peeps

just got this today, I like it, seems capable of a lot of subtlety which is great in a fuzz, pedal

The crossover can suck tone though if not set right, and the tone know also seems to suck the life out of the sound a bit.....

I'm assuming this is all normal?

My issue is with the gate. How is this meant to work exactly?

When I turn in from zero, the sound disappears, when its high I need to hit the string really hard, but the sound dies very suddenly, cuts out , and there is silence, no sustain, even if sustain is turned up; is this how its meant to operate????

Just not sure what the gate is meant to do?

I've emailed EHX to ask them, may have a faulty pedal!?

If so a bummer as bought in online!!

cheers

Z

A gate works by cutting off all sound bellow a curtain volume (set by the dial). Its there to cut out the noise you get with a fuzz when playing a rest
Basically, just set the rest of the controls as desired, and then stop playing and turn knob until you just get no noise.

P.S. I'm still at the pub, so apologys for bad english.

I can sort of see how it works but if thats how its meant to sound it sounds sh*t!!

I just don;t think i;'ll use it, the whole point of fuzz distortion is to make noise surely!!! ???

i don;t thinj this pedal is working properly I'll have to take it to a shop that has a Pi deluxe and compare....

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1441491058' post='2859298']
I have one and to me it sounds like it's working perfectly, the gate is meant to work like that as its meant to reduce 'undesired' noise like hum and the higher you set it the harder you have to play therefore softer notes don't come through.
[/quote]

Does it cut the sound though suddenly? Literally there is no sustain at all, just dead nothingness. it just doesn't sound 'right' to me

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1441492757' post='2859318']

Does it cut the sound though suddenly? Literally there is no sustain at all, just dead nothingness. it just doesn't sound 'right' to me
[/quote]
Yeah mine does that, it's the way a gate works, when the note sustains it gets quieter and so the gate cuts it off when on settings about 9 o' clockish, which is why I never set the gate higher. I think I'm gonna be selling mine soon and getting something a little better tbh...

A noise gate works by clamping down, and completely cutting out the sound once the signal falls below a certain amount. Look up some noise gates in action, it may give a better point of comparison for whether it's doing what it should be.

I'm not sure as I'd have to mess with it in person, but having no sound at all when set to 0, then having to play hard just to get a sound when set high sounds a bit odd, so perhaps the gate is not operating properly.

No its fine when set to zero its when its set high it just shuts off the sound which I don't understand. I just don't think I'll use it. Its a very quiet pedal, the sound isn't as distorted as the guitar version of the pi muff deluxe, should have got that. Often effects designed for bass just aren't as good...

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1441526201' post='2859418']
No its fine when set to zero its when its set high it just shuts off the sound which I don't understand. I just don't think I'll use it. Its a very quiet pedal, the sound isn't as distorted as the guitar version of the pi muff deluxe, should have got that. Often effects designed for bass just aren't as good...
[/quote]

Sounds like its working as it should. I had that pedal for a few years and yeah the gate was pretty aggressive when set high, I would usually have it set between 8 and 9 o'clock but would also leave it off completely from time to time if I wasn't playing super loud, the gate is simply there to cut out unwanted noise if you don't need the feature just leave it off. As far as should you have got the guitar one, id say no, I played around with that as well and the Muff you have now is a far superior unit for bass, its a really nice pedal if you want that muff sound, I ended up moving away from it as i didn't need that sound any more but I always liked that pedal.

I usually have it at 9 o'c which is the point at which is kills the background noise when not playing. That way I have no problem with it killing sustained notes (it needs to get REALLY quiet before it gets cut off)... Recently however, I started increasing it a bit, to 11 o'c. because I like the added 'tightness' to the sound. Haven't had much problems with sustain being cut this way either, but haven't used it enough in that setting. Anyway, that's what a gate is meant to do: it will cut off the signal when volume gets below a certain point. So if you have it set low, that threshold will be at a really low volume (as low as line noise if desired); if you turn it up quite high, you increase the volume threshold for the cutoff, so as you sustain a note and it starts decaying, it will get cut off abruptly quite early on at a volume that is still quite high and where it's still very noticeable.

I've tried a few more expensive fuzzes (TFR, Grand Tarkin, Duality, Micro Fuzz, and others) and can't find one that works better than this one for me. It's not perfect, but I can't find anything better. Won't swap for the smaller versions precisely because of the gate, I could live without the blend but the Gate even just at 9 o'c adds such great definition to the sound. Just wish the pedal was smaller. They could so easily get rid of the mostly useless crossover and DI and make it the size of the standard BBM...