Why become a member? ×

running an amp head into a combo - best way?

goonieman

Hi All,

I have an Eden EC combo amp. I was thinking of trying another amp head through the setup, but it has no 'speaker in' - only a speaker out.

Would I run the head through the effects return? I don't like this idea because I presume I would be running the signal through a preamp, a power amp (in the head), and then another power amp in the combo, right?

There is also a 'stereo media in' - i.e. MP3 player input. Might be an option?

Thoughts welcome,

thanks

The effects-out and effects-return jack sockets are often used to connect the preamp-out of one piece if kit to the amp-in of a second piece of kit, so if you want to compare the eq of the head against the eq section of the combo for example, that would be the way to go (if you have those jack sockets). It would also allow you to connect one preamp to drive two amps if you had two speakers.

If you want to compare two amplifiers, then you need access to the connection between the amp and the speaker in the combo. If you are not comfortable taking the back of,or taking the grill off and the speaker out, or whatever, then you cannot do that comparison.

David

I did this with a Carlsboro combo I had, I had to fit a jack socket in between the amp section and the speaker which cut off the amp when a jack plug was inserted, just to try it you could just cut the cable to the speaker and use a a plastic block connector to connect the amp to the speaker then join it back up again if you didn't like it
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-6-15-30-Amp-12-Way-Terminal-Block-Strip-Electrical-Wire-Connector-/131559451930"]http://www.ebay.co.u...r-/131559451930[/url]

Edited by PaulWarning