Why become a member? ×

String spacing on headless bass..predominantly steinberger and status basses

I love the string spacing on my Washburn status bass. It's my 'go to ' bass more than any other. While I like the Steinberger xm2 bass, the string spacing is not as wide ,
but is great for using a pick . ( yes, good for metal ;) )
Eventually , I will probably go for a 5 string headless. I did have a Schecter 5 string bass which I sold to a basschatter on here a couple of years ago.
That was good for metal ;) The reason that went looking back ; I was in 2 bands and never felt confident playing it live doing my silly rock poses.
Plus it wasn't headless , which I am used to.
So, I'm wondering, has a status 5 string still got a generous ( compared to steinberger) string spacing ? (Wide)
Are there any other too makes ( not too expensive but not Hohner) that can be equally suitable?
Cheers

Been doing a bit of measuring for you. My Status S2000 has the same bridge piece as your Washburn. The string spacing at the bridge measures at 17mm whereas my Hohner measures at 18mm. I presume the Hohner and your Steinberger have the same bridge/tuner system.

Most Status 5ers have 18mm spacing unless otherwise specified by original purchaser or you if you buy new. Headless Status basses use the mono rail tuners so a new bass can have any spacing you want for a small extra charge. I have seen some older Status fivers, like Empathys, with 16mm spacing. They use the same kind of bridge/tuning system to your Washburn but fitted for five strings. Hope that's of some use.