Why become a member? ×

BassChat 50 must know bass riffs!

Dood

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1440588385' post='2852146']

But what I do remember is that my main goal for learning to play was so I could write my own songs and preform them in a band. Obviously I learnt the guitar by playing other people's songs but not in the way I see described here - painstakingly picking out the relevant musical lines and reproducing them. I had the sheet music and songbooks for some bands that I liked, and had learnt how to strum my way through the chord progressions for the songs that I knew. A school friend showed me the blues pentatonic scale and as far a I was concerned that was pretty much everything I needed to start writing my own songs.

[/quote]

Funnily enough, more or less the way that I and countless others learned to take our first musical steps too! I wouldn't say you were much different and I mean that in a good way!

My point though is that you will have known what the sound of the pentatonic scale was, even subliminally to know how to use it. Being able to place it on the guitar neck just means that you can utilise it faster with a pattern too. - and that's a good reason for learning riffs too as it helps to understand how to create new sounds in your mental library and at least in the beginning being able to fast track it by relating the sound to a pattern on the neck or a familiar bass line you've learned already. I hope that makes sense!