Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror cut out last night!

cameltoe

Never had any issues with my OBT in about 5 years of gigging, but last night it suddenly lost all output halfway through a gig. Luckily, I was DI'ing through a preamp pedal so my FOH signal was fine. I removed my pedals from the chain and plugged straight into the amp- nothing. Swapped outputs on the amp and cab- nothing. The power light was still on and fan still going and both preamp valves, at a quick glance, appeared to be glowing nicely.

Play the rest of the set through the foldback. At the end of the gig, I try the amp again, and it works fine! This is more annoying than it just breaking.

Any ideas what could be up? Worth mentioning I have just replaced the preamp valves back to a set of Philips ECC81's that I had previously had fitted in the amp for about 2 years but removed a couple months ago.

When I owned one of the first generation OTB's I had a similar issue and it was a capacitor come loose on the preamp. I sent it to Orange who replaced the board to the newer model; they did it for free even though my amp was out of warranty - thumbs up to Orange on that one :)