Why become a member? ×

istomp by Digitech

Shonks

this began for me when i wanted an octave up octavider - geez they're a bit expensive.

I was playing with a guitarist friend of mine (we play gypsy jazz) and when I solo, I thought id try and octave up, I thought I'd try a piccolo bass but then guitarist handed me his istomp box asked me to try it.
it had 4 controls, the 1st and oct lower, the 2nd a 5th the 3rd and oct up, and the 4th 2 octs up.

I had them all down and just used the oct up, the 3rd control, and it really did the trick - brilliant! The original signal is always present and the controls mix in the amount of generated octaves or 5ths. it works pretty well as a regular octave pedal too. With all the controls in it sound very similar to a hammond organ, pretty cool.

hang on a minute though...that's not what the istomp is..what is it then I hear you ask...well....its a solid well constructed stomp box with 4 knobs and DC input. it doesn't use batteries, but it is the standard 9v and the input is standard polarity and size, an empty well constructed box, however, it's a blank canvas.
Basically you need an iphone or ipad and you upload whatever pedal you want into it & there's about 50 pedals to choose from.
Not all great for bass but there's quite a few that are.

and the best thing of all....the stomp box itself is only £35 from gear4music and it comes with a power supply and the cable to upload.
and all the apps are free....yep...free!!

these used to be about £125 for the stomp pedal and the pedal apps about £5 each but because Apple Have changed the connection interface from the old 30 pin thing, Digitech haven't upgraded the firmware or hardware so the price hit rock bottom, you have to check it out.
I bought two and its great to be able to choose from 50 pedals and pick what might be appropriate for a particular gig or just to play around with stuff you wouldn't normally bother with.

I have to say the auto wah is brilliant, and there's some nice compressors, a Boss octaver, and Lexicon Reverbs besides others. Chorus, flanges, overdrives...and the list goes on!

Don't buy them on ebay though, some poor suckers are still trying to sell them at the original price. or 2nd hand for more than they are new. They probably haven't heard about the price drop yet, or they're hoping you haven't.

[b]the snag!!!!![/b]....[b]you need an ipad 2 or iphone 5.[/b] ...so you can upload your apps to the istomp. Later ipads and iphones dont work apparently, but the apple ipad and phones before ipad 2 and iphone 5 might be good.

There's reviews and comments all over the net so check it out....for £35 it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

The power supplies are excellent too. They are good quality and capable of running several Boss type pedals at the same time which is useful in itself. Thats gotta be worth a tenner on its own...lol

grear4music
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Digitech-iStomp-Guitar-Effects-Stompbox/INU?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Digitech&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=Digitech+iStomp&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=24186d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=64090736959&gclid=CjwKEAjw_MisBRCTuNPfoMqU4ngSJACrJv1VliwSWap850I9aOpavosOLpxlLtdMKF3AjiMEYvZTExoC2Fvw_wcB"]http://www.gear4musi...vZTExoC2Fvw_wcB[/url]

demo [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyr_2AIJFX8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=hyr_2AIJFX8[/url]

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1435776065' post='2812378']
At that price it's worth buying just on the off chance you need an effect one day. So I ordered one :-)
[/quote]you wont regret it, but if you do gear4music are pretty good on refunds

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1435790873' post='2812568']
you wont regret it, but if you do gear4music are pretty good on refunds
[/quote]
In all honesty for £35, I would keep it just in case. I know I don't need it but there have been occasions where I could have done with a specific effect for a specific number. This will avoid me having a cupboard full of "One Use" pedals.

Well that didn't last long.
Eldest son was over from Prague for youngest son's wedding. Spotted the iStomp, though "what a fantastic idea", and it ended up in his case yesterday on the trip back.
Never mind another one already ordered.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1436162449' post='2815391']
Well that didn't last long.
Eldest son was over from Prague for youngest son's wedding. Spotted the iStomp, though "what a fantastic idea", and it ended up in his case yesterday on the trip back.
Never mind another one already ordered.
[/quote]i knew they'd catch on...