Why become a member? ×

Fender P-bass

p-bass

Hi i have a 1980 Fender Precision Special the one with the gold hardware and Active pickups. I suffered a major embarrassment at a gig when i stood on my lead while playing at a gig and smashed my face plate and the worst bit i smashed my electronics board for the active electronics. Ended up borrowing a warwick bass from a friend in the crowd very nice bass doesn,t growl like the fender though. I have replaced the face plate with a brass one so this never happens again. I have contacted fender about the electronics board but they said they do not stock parts for basses that old. Could anyone recommend what i should i do. I have looked at getting new active pickups but i love the sound my bass has and don,t want to mess with it really. It has so much sustain with the active about a weeks worth if you leave it :). I am at a loss what to do about this any help would be welcome

What a pisser.

I suppose you've already thought about taking the remains of the smashed board to a sparky/guitar techy type. That sounds as good a shot as any considering Fender's reply.

There's plenty of after market 2 band eq's around - try basspartsresource as a start point - but that won't really solve the problem if you're after the exact same thing.

I take it you pass the lead through the strap when you're gigging?

The board is missing presumed dead. I think i,m on to a loser trying to get this fixed it is getting on a bit fender are not interested. It,s wired passive at the moment so all is not lost. There must be some kind of replacement though even it is not original. Oh yeah 99.9999999% of the time i have the lead behind my strap i forget one time and bang.

I think you're going to struggle, to be honest. I don't think I've EVER seen a P-Special circuit for sale on eBay...

If the route suggested by markytbass doesn't work out, and Fender can't provide a schematic, I would go with what else has been suggested and pick up another active circuit.

Bear in mind that the pickups aren't active - they're standard P pickups.