Why become a member? ×

Healing huge bass blisters - fast style (Do not try at home)

goonieman

Howdie folks,

I had a jam on saturday and managed to blister my middle and index fingers pretty bad.

I did not feel them during the session as I was on adrenaline, but was astounded to see them there after all these years playing (albeit after a small hiatus)

So after doing some googling on other forums I decided to take the sanitized-pin-burst option, but added a twist: super glue.

I've read there is stuff called '2nd skin' - but I wanted an immediate fix. I would not try it at home because obviously there is a risk the super glue can get into the pin-prick that I made and infect (I assume quite badly? who knows...).

Anyways, that did not happen. I think the trick was to pop early before the skin 'died', cover with a bit of glue, and keep on playin'! HARD!

After 48 hrs, my skin is re-attaching nicely and the whole area (now minus super glue) is feeling pretty well calloused.

(your mileage may vary!)

yeah, I've used super glue before a few times and it worked fine. But I think that was pretty lucky.

Two interesting points:
1. That's actually what super glue was developed for.
2. There's a difference between surgical, sterilised cyanoacrylate and a tube of LocTite.

Putting superglue in any kind of wound that hasn't been properly cleaned and sterilised is a bad idea. I'd say just play with a pick when you've got open blisters.

Edited by alittlebitrobot

I tried "New Skin" a few years ago and found it felt a lot more diluted than Superglue.

Unlike the OP, the burst blister skin had totally come off, so I was left with raw skin only. I found with Superglue it gave a nice thick layer that I could play with, but it would crack up and come off so I would have to put on more coats and blow dry whilst the singer was waffling every 3 or 4 songs. I did nearly get stuck to a string at one point when he didn't waffle for long enough! New Skin wasn't providing strong enough a layer to play with for my liking, hence the Superglue.

As for the hygiene bit, the blisters had been burst for about 24hrs when I did the gig - I don't think anything bad came of it from that one. It certainly saved the gig for me!

As long as the abrasion hasn't gone through the dermis - i.e. you're not actually bleeding with a cut etc then your skin should still be watertight and applying superglue won;t cause you to have an infection. If it is cut and you seal it up with a load of dirt/bugs in there, then you might have troubles.

Non clinical superglue is fairly acidic and some are exothermic when they cure as well so you can get burns; clinical ones like dermabond don't have these side effects.

Anyway it works so long as you're happy with the slight risks and you know about open wounds etc - either that or just use some surgical tape; sweat resistant and very thin.