Why become a member? ×

Any reviews on Trace Elliot AH1200-12?

Urban Lions

I'm thinking about buying a TE AH1200-12 and thought I'd ask you lot first before making the move.

I'm used to old trace stuff from pre Gibson era and I've no idea what the new American made Peavey stuff is like.

I have a pre Gibson AH600 and a BFC cab and I'm really confused about the set up so I think I might sell it and just go for the ah1200, a 1x18 and a 4x12 600w a side.

Any advice?

• 1 month later...

old school , very heavy.. yep.. so are the cabs.. I'v been running this amp for a year now with a pair of 10/15h 4 ohm cabs.. its well built, and sounds simply stunning, huge amounts of tonal variation available, HUGE amounts of power, uttery reliable (and this runs for prob 15/20 hours a week plus gigs..) I was dubious about swapping from my 1989 t/e rig.. but i neednt have been.. forget the tiny class d amps, and small enclosures.. if your a bass player and proud, if your tone matters.. deal with lugging this around.. I cannot praise the thing hihly enough.. only issue i have is that the tolex covering is a bit easy to mark.. bring back the green carpet..

personally I'd forget the 1x18, depending on your style.. I found a 1x15 plus 4x10 perfectly fine.. but honestly the 10/15's together are incredible.. go test drive oneif your not sure.. but you'll want it..
Stevie.

http://www.traceelliot.com/catalog/catalog.pdf

check the image of[font=serif][size=5]
AH1200-12[/size][/font][font=serif][size=5]
2 x 1015H[/size][/font][font=serif][size=5]
although its laughable described as "relatively compact"... which it really aint.. but it will stop a bull elephant at 20 yards.. take ya little eden and walk sadly away (carrying it with one hand..) :-)[/size][/font]

It's a shame if there are reliability issues with the modern TE stuff. I've got a 715 combo I'm not even sure how old it is (green carpet era) but I've never had it serviced in the 10 or so years I've had it and it seems indestructable. Had another even older 715 combo before that (black tolex/sharkskin era) and only traded it in because I wanted to upgrade to one that could take an ext cab and work at 4ohms. The new ones do look very pricey, by the time mine packs in irretrevibly I'd probably be moving to lighter gear anyway if I'm still gigging.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I purchased one a few days ago.  So far it sounds great!  I have yet to play it in a live band situation and this is where we see if it can cut though in a six-piece band.  It's basically, to my ear, a Trace Elf on steroids.  More EQ, two band compressor, foot pedal, pre shape, and tons of connectivity.  Comes with the Midi foot pedal controller, rack ears and carry bag.  Expensive but a beastly 1200 watts into 4 ohms.  The fan is quite and draws air from the left side and expels on the right side.  DI sounded fantastic as well.