Why become a member? ×

Funkulator v EQ Pedal

Gunsfreddy2003

Looking for something to help fatten out my tone when switching from finger style to slap in various numbers in our set.

Been looking with interest at the Funkulator - anyone tried one or using one live?

Alternatively it's been suggested that the Source Audio programmable EQ is a better solution to the problem.

Any thoughts anyone?

Not tried the Funkulator, but I just bought a Source Audio EQ literally about 10 mins ago. A little worried as its DSP technology so I wonder if it'll digitise my tone. Luckily mail order has its pluses when returning gear you don't like...

The MXR Micro Amp is a great simple solution, second hand they are cheap enough too. I use one on my electric guitar all the time and have used them on bass many a time, I think Flea might use one as a slap boost too. It'd be good if you just need more volume a touch of depth, but the Source Audio would let you sculpt the sound more if you need.

Thanks for the reply. Would be really keen to know how you find the Source Audio? I think I need to have some ability to boost the bass frequencies too, it's not just the volume that drops off!!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433190206' post='2788808']
Not tried the Funkulator, but I just bought a Source Audio EQ literally about 10 mins ago. A little worried as its DSP technology so I wonder if it'll digitise my tone. Luckily mail order has its pluses when returning gear you don't like...

The MXR Micro Amp is a great simple solution, second hand they are cheap enough too. I use one on my electric guitar all the time and have used them on bass many a time, I think Flea might use one as a slap boost too. It'd be good if you just need more volume a touch of depth, but the Source Audio would let you sculpt the sound more if you need.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1433193769' post='2788873']
Cool.

It's ok I didn't see that!

Liked the link ref Flea's board great to see what the pro's get up to. I thought the taped control knobs was great!!
[/quote]

I just got my Source Audio EQ, played it for less than 3 minutes and I'm sending it back. :(

It's DSP - digit processing. As I expected, it killed the tone of my bass, squashed it and took out the natural space in the notes. I tried it through headphones as that's how I'd mostly use it. For many players it would most likely be less noticeable through an amp, but I have a deep hatred of digital pedals ( or natural tone altering pedals) that kill the sound of a bass I love.

Next..... :)

Sorry to hear that - good job that you can send it back!

In the end I opted for the Funkulator as it seemed a much simpler solution.

Will let you know how it performs.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433353597' post='2790419']
I just got my Source Audio EQ, played it for less than 3 minutes and I'm sending it back. :(

It's DSP - digit processing. As I expected, it killed the tone of my bass, squashed it and took out the natural space in the notes. I tried it through headphones as that's how I'd mostly use it. For many players it would most likely be less noticeable through an amp, but I have a deep hatred of digital pedals ( or natural tone altering pedals) that kill the sound of a bass I love.

Next..... :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1433489898' post='2791423']

[/quote]

Nice one, look forward to hearing how it goes, looks like a cool pedal :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1433489898' post='2791423']

[/quote]

Oh, and if it doesn't work out.. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/263577-mxr-custom-shop-micro-amp/

But I hope it does work out for you! :)